Chapter 7

Sophia

I went to the stables, not even bothering to change into a riding dress. I jumped hurdles for a few minutes before I just rode out into the expansive grounds of court. Feeling the wind in my hair always made me feel better. I decided to give the horse a rest and sat on the grass on the edge of a line of fur trees. I was picking out pieces of grass from the ground and placing them in different spots. I had no idea why, but I was. Soon I was not alone. Matthew came out from the forest behind me and sat down.

“You look beautiful when you ride.” He smiled at me, but then looked down at his twiddling thumbs.

“You shouldn’t say things like that. I will soon be your brother’s wife.” I wasn’t so thrilled about that part, but I had calmed down from my anger.

“Yes, he always gets all the good things.” He met my eyes again.

I didn’t say anything. I had had enough of arguing with people’s words for a day. “So, why are you flirting with me?”

“Because it’s a lot of fun. What’s wrong with you?”

“Your brother is a rude and overpowering man. Not to mention a complete ass.”

Matthew laughed at what I said. I didn’t know how it was funny, but apparently it was. “He’s not always like that. Listen, he cares for you a lot. It’s hard for him to care so much. He is just struggling, as are you.”

“Yes, it must be difficult to have to put up with me. Having feelings for me must be awful.” I rolled my eyes at his explanation.

“No, it’s not awful at all.” He said coyly. What? He knew what having feelings for me felt like? This was getting too uncomfortable for me. I said a quick goodbye before getting up and mounting my horse again. I rode away from him and did my best not to look back.