Chapter 29

Alexander

I didn’t sleep a wink that night. Every time the wind blew, I thought of Sophia in the forest, cold and alone. I wanted to be searching for her myself, but my father insisted I stay. The morning came and as soon as I heard bustling in the halls, I went to the throne room to see my father. When I arrived, he was in the same spot as he was yesterday, but my mother wasn’t by his side.

“Is there any news?” I asked anxiously.

“Well, the French ambassador was trampled by a stampede while hunting yesterday. He is…” I interrupted his babbling.

“No father. Is there any news regarding Sophia?”

He fidgeted in his seat. “The General’s men have turned up nothing. There is simply too much space to cover. By the time it is all searched, it may be too late.”

I stood straighter. “Then we will send more men.”

“No, we won’t. You have argued about this alliance since you were young. You didn’t want an arranged marriage. You wanted to marry for love. I’m glad your head is on somewhat better, but we can’t take the risk. If she is not found within the next few hours, we will stop looking.” He announced. My face felt warm. Upon assessing my reaction, he spoke again. “If you are less opposed to an arranged marriage now, we can find you another pretty face. I hear Sophia’s younger sister is quite beautiful.”

I clenched my jaw. “Sophia’s oldest sister is only 14. Don’t you think that’s wrong?”

“Your sister is going to marry…” He was interrupted by a page who came rushing into the room.

“I’m sorry your majesty, but we have news.” He informed.

“Has Sophia been found?” I asked impatiently.

“No, but it may be related to that.”

“Speak the story now.” My father demanded.

The page came closer and nervously tapped his foot as he began. “A man on horseback, a wanderer, arrived at our gates a few minutes ago. He said he had a letter to deliver to Alexander and would then be on his way. As accustom we held him to ensure he wasn’t a spy as the letter was reviewed by a guard. It was from Sophia.” He placed a shaky hand in his pocket and pulled out a neatly folded piece of paper that was without a seal. “This is it. The guard requested you read it before we decide what to do with the man.”

I pulled the letter from his hand and opened it. I recognized her neat handwriting immediately. I read the letter over two times to make sure I was reading it properly. Shock washed over me. That was why she left. To save those around her. I knew she was selfless, but I never knew how much so. If that weren’t bad enough, she wasn’t expecting to live long. I needed to find her as soon as possible. If my father wouldn’t send the men necessary, then I would do it myself.

“Please release the wanderer. Tell him that he will ride with me and 10 of my men to the cabin where he received the letter. If he can lead us to her, it will be to his great benefit.” I retorted.