Chapter 1

Sophia

The carriage bumped down the rocky road, dust being pushed up as it traveled at an increasingly fast pace. The longer I spent here, the more my stomach turned. We were getting closer and closer to the castle. I had spent days on the road and sleeping in expansive cottages all along the west coast of France and even a day on the rough waters of the sea. It was early in the morning, the sun still weak in the sky, but I knew that by the time it was over my head, I would be meeting my future.

There was no escape from that future because it was what my country needed and what my father wanted. Spain needs England’s strength in armies to protect us from Portugal. They have been attacking our borders for years and their futile attempts are growing stronger. England decided the alliance would strengthen the power they had over Europe and help them gain more colonies along the coasts. The only way to protect my country is to marry the future king of England, Prince Alexander.

We have been engaged since I was 7 and Alexander was 8. Our wedding date was set shortly after the agreement was made. We were to be wed months after my 17th birthday, which was last week. That is why I am here now. I was not ready to leave when I was placed into the carriage, but I had no choice. I had to leave my family, my siblings, and so many of my friends.

“You are doing this for your country. You won’t be back. It is best for everyone.” My father, King Ferdinand, said those words to me as he said his farewell. He did not even give me a hug, but he has never done such a thing before. He has resented me since the day I was born. It was a great failure to him when his first born was a daughter. He may have fed me to the horses all together if my brother Francisco wasn’t born a mere 12 months after me, satisfying my country’s need for an heir.

My mother, Queen Essabel’s, words were much more calming, but they always were. “Be brave, my darling. You will be happy. Alexander is a good man who will care for you. You must have faith and open your heart if you want to be happy.” So that is what I am trying to do.

I have heard only good things about my 18 year old future husband. I have heard he is kind, handsome and a very brave man. That is the only thing getting me through the thought of being forced to marry a man I barely know in just 2 months. That and my friends or ladies in waiting, as they are officially referred to. I have been friends with them all since childhood. They each have a story so much different than the others.

Lady Charlotte Of Zargosa comes from a wealthy family who have been close with my parents for decades. She is 16 years old and one of the most genuine people I’ve ever known. She will always put others first and will work very hard for all the things she is given regardless.

Lady Eloise Of Valencia is also from a rich family. She is very determined to find a husband in England as fast as she can. I’ve never really been sure of why. It could be because she is a hopeless romantic who desperately wants to find her soul mate or needs a wealthy spouse to satisfy her needs. Eloise is 17 years old.

Lady Lucy Of Burgos is very carefree. She never thinks about her actions before she does them. If she wants something she will get it and if she wants to do something she will learn. I envy her because so many times I wish I could be more relaxed and not have to think about an entire country before I take a step. She is also 17.

And last but not least is Lady Amelia Of Vigo whose story fascinates me the most. She was born into a peasant family in the small fishing village of Vigo. Her father was of course a fisherman who worked hard to support his 8 children. My mother was on a small vacation after her fourth child, my sister Maria’s birth. She was passing through the streets of Vigo when she saw young Amelia playing with pebbles on the side of the road. My mother claims she saw something in Amelia that reminded her of me. She stopped the carriage immediately, and demanded a meeting with her parents. She modestly sat in their two bedroom home and drank a glass of water as she offered to make their dreams come true. She wished to grant Amelia a title as a lady and ensure her future by training her to be one of my ladies, along with giving her family a substantial amount of money. Her family graciously accepted and my mother brought a little Amelia back with her, who has now grown into a beautiful 16 year old girl. I am brought out of my daze as Charlotte speaks.