Chapter 11

Sophia

A smile was glued to my face as I got back to my room. That was the sweetest thing someone has ever done for me. I shut my door and walked over to a small dining table in the middle of my room. On it was a note.

Your Grace,

You were out when dinner was served so I thought I shall bring it to you. I hope you enjoy the venison. It is fresh. I also brought you some assorted berries, peas, and a glass of port. Have a lovely evening.

Your chamber maid,

Agnes

This was odd. Dinner was usually served an hour from now, but I took her word for it. The food was especially delicious tonight. The meat was much more fresh than they had ever served it before. It was usually salted for weeks before being cooked, but this food tasted as though it came directly from a hunter’s arrow.

When I had finished my meal, I read a book in front of the fire. I had never read it before. It was about a young man who took a journey through the forest, only to find out half way through that it was a dream. He had just awoken on a boat in the middle of the sea when there was a knock on my door. Amelia entered holding a letter in her hands. She sat next to me.

“It’s from Charlotte.” She placed the letter in my hand. I wasn’t sure if I wanted to read it. I had just gotten over the pain of her leaving. Would hearing her words be too much to bear? I wasn’t sure so I decided to find out. I read the letter aloud to Amelia.

Dear Princess Sophia,

      I miss you and our friends. It was so hard to leave, but I thank you once again for blessing our marriage. We wed two days ago. It was a small ceremony in a local church. I am very happy here. The air is much warmer than it was in England or Spain. There are many streams flowing through the gentle hills, which are so much fun to walk upon. My husband is a sweet man. He is generous to my family and had already helped pay off a large sum of my father’s debts. I will think of you on May 3rd. John promises me I will be able to return to court for a visit before the year is over. I wish you the best and now that I am married, I hope to offer you some advice. There is hope in love, even if the situation is forced.

                                                      Fondly,

                                                      Your loyal servant,

                                    Lady Charlotte Of Zargosa

I smiled. I missed her optimistic tone of voice and the way she used to smile at the simplest things such as a bird’s song.

“I miss her.” I said softly.

Amelia smiled and wrapped her arms around me. “We all do, but she needed to marry him.” She whispered into my hair. We talked about our fondest memories of Charlotte for a little while before Agnes came in.

“I’m sorry to interrupt your grace. I’m just here to turn down your bed.” She curtsied before starting to take the decorative pillows off of my bed.

“It’s all right. Thank you for the feast. It was very kind of you.” She stopped what she was doing and turned to look at me.

“What are you speaking of?” She looked very confused.

My head was beginning to feel heavy. I must have been tired from my evening of missing Charlotte. I stood up, but felt wobbly on my feet. “The food you brought to me for dinner. You wrote a note.” I pointed to the table with the empty dishes.

“I’m illiterate your grace. I don’t know how to write and I didn’t bring you any food.” She stared at me for a moment. I just stood there trying to stop my body from hitting the floor. She began to pull the sheets down on my bed again.

“Sophia, what is going on? Are you ill?” Amelia said as she stood next to me. I tripped my way across the room, trying to reach the table to examine the letter again. As I was doing that, another knock came from my door. Agnes opened it. I saw Alexander in my peripheral vision.

“Sorry to disturb you, I just wanted to… Sophia? What’s going on?” Alexander’s voice turned to worry. He rushed over to my side just as the world around me went fuzzy. I could no longer see or feel my legs. I crashed down from my standing position into Alexander’s arms. The last thing I heard was his voice yelling for the guards.