Chapter 25

Alexander

“What did this merchant tell you about Princess Sophia’s location?” My father boomed. He sat upon his thrown, his hands balled up in anger. My mother sat beside him, her stance much more relaxed.

“He told me that he was bribed by Sophia. She instructed him to put a case of her things in his carriage and deliver it to a cabin where she would be staying this evening.” I answered.

He rolled his eyes. “Then why don’t we just go to this cabin and bring her back when she arrives.”

I looked to the ground. “He is not aware of the location of the cabin. He was told to meet a man a few miles from the palace at sunrise. He would tell him of its location then. But the merchant had been up late into the night and slept through sunrise. When he arrived at the meeting place, the man had left.”

My father sighed. “She’s clever, I’ll give her that. What was in the trunk?”

“Eight dresses, a few pairs of shoes, a jacket, and a large amount of money. She probably intended to use it to by passage back to Spain via a war ship or fishing vessel.”

He nodded. “We must find her. I won’t let this alliance slip through my hands. As strong as we are, we are in desperate use of a friendship with a powerful country.”

“It’s more important than that. Without that supplies, clothing, and money, she won’t survive for more than a day. If she has any hope of living, we must find her before the sunrise tomorrow.” I stated.

“I don’t know. If she was not content with the life we provided for her, maybe we should let her go. As your father said, she’s a clever girl. Maybe she can sell herself for money to return to her beloved family.” My mother chimed.

I glared at her. “You will go to any extent to ruin the lives of those around you, won’t you? I will find her and bring her home.”

I turned around to General Brismouth, the commander of the army. “Have 10 companies of men search every inch of the land in a 50 mile radius. She couldn’t have expected to go very far without her belongings. When you find her, send word to me. Don’t approach or threaten her. She shall not be harmed.” He nodded and left the room.

I looked towards my mother again. “That is what an decent person would do.”