Chapter 74

Sophia

I called Eloise and Amelia to my room after my angry conversation with Jane.

“I want to warn you of her.” I began.

They both looked confused, but Amelia spoke up first. “Why? Has she done something?”

I held back my laughter at that question. She has done more than something. I carefully phrased my answer. “She had a past relationship with Alexander. I was prepared to forget it, but she has made it clear that she won’t. My husband is still something she desires.”

Eloise rolled her eyes. “Sophia, we are your friends. You can be honest with us. How do you really feel?”

I sighed. “I really hate her! I’m sorry, but I do. She believes that she has a right to whatever man she wants just because they used to have a relationship. She must move on.”

We all started laughing. It felt so good to just say what I thought and not have to censor it. I continued to spill my feelings on her and a series of other irritating subjects. I hadn’t laughed so hard in a long time.

My joy was cut short as Alexander came bursting through my door. We stopped talking as we took in his flustered face.

His voice shook as he spoke. “Sophia, I need to speak with you privately.”

My ladies stood, curtsied, and scurried out the door, obviously uncomfortable by the now anxious air in my room.

“Alexander, what is going on? Is someone hurt?” I asked as I stood up.

He slowly walked over to me. “We received an urgent message from your father a few minutes ago.” He seemed to be struggling to say what he had to.

“Why? What did he say?” I was panicking now. My father rarely sent letters unless it was urgent news.

Alexander grabbed my hand and pulled me to the couch. “He wrote of an urgent situation. He said that there was a threat rising in Spain. Rumors reached him of a revolt. The Spanish Protestants and the Portuguese have joined forces to take your family from power. He requested quick help as he was not sure when the first attack would take place.”

I somehow was not surprised. The Portuguese are Protestant and large part of our country was too. It was only a matter of time before they joined together. “So we must send help before it’s too late.”

His face became more disturbed. “Moments after we received your father’s letter, we received a ransom note.” I stayed silent. I was too shocked to respond. “They took over Spanish court. They are demanding for you to return or they will kill your family.”