Chapter 89

Alexander

I spent the entire next day trying to convince a general to give me the men I needed to search for Sophia. They were willing to help until the question came up about my father.

“How does the King feel about this, my Lord?” They would all say as if they were given a script to follow.

No one wanted to disobey my father’s orders. Being on his bad side was a swift way to end their careers. I couldn’t blame them. It was a difficult situation. I could search for her myself, but I may never find her. The country was far too big. For all I knew, he may have taken her to another country or he may have been captaining his own ship that was already drifting to Asia. I felt hopeless. Could I have lost her forever? The thought brought tears to my eyes. I wouldn’t let that happen. I would never stop looking for her. I would wait to be King and use every resource available to learn of her whereabouts. An idea suddenly popped into my mind. I had finally realized the logic that would persuade my father to send out guards. I rushed to his room as fast as my legs could take me. His heavy door swung open after I knocked a few times.

The King’s face was one of annoyance. “Why are you bothering me right before I go to bed?”

I pushed past him into his room. His second mistress Clara was asleep in his bed with only blankets covering her. “I have come up with a reason why you must search for Sophia and Matthew.”

He followed me as I sat down on his couch. “What reason would that be?”

I smiled. “Well, you should know that I won’t remarry if we don’t find her. If I don’t remarry or find Sophia, I won’t have an heir.”

Confusion covered his emotionless face. “And that concerns me for what reason?”

“When I die, the line of succession will revert to my next brother. That brother is Matthew. He could stake his claim on England and hand it over to our enemies, since it seems his loyalties don’t lie with us.” I was practically bursting with pride as my father’s face contorted to one of defeat. “We must find him and kill him to be sure he won’t rise against us. When I die, this country is his, whether you like it or not.”

My father’s cheeks flushed a light pink. “I suppose you are right.”

I had finally backed the King into a corner. He could not think of an opposition to my idea. I knew I shouldn’t have opened my mouth, but I had to. He deserved to feel what he gave to others. “Yesterday, you told me that I was not ready to be king. From where I am today, I can see that I am. What if this had slipped your mind permanently? You could have lost England. What a marvelous king you are!” I laughed out the last sentence.

My father’s already red face became brighter. His eyes became hard and watched my every move as if he could see into my soul. We sat in silence this way for a few minutes. Eventually the stares became too much. I stood and walked towards the door.

As I opened it, my father groaned. “You should learn to never cross a king. That is a mistake you may pay for.”

I didn’t turn around. I was used to his empty threats.