Chapter 97

Alexander

From that day on, Sophia became my mother. She would sit in her room with her ladies all day. She seemed to not exist outside of there unless she was called upon to do something. When she did that thing, she was usually silent unless she was spoken to. She looked as if she were an abused slave who was obedient for her own protection.

Days past since her declaration of bravery and she still hadn’t wavered. I saw her once every day, and when I spoke with her, she was cold and distant. It was excruciating to have her smile disappear. Even though she was here in body, the Sophia that I knew seemed to be gone.

No matter how much I wanted to take her on a long walk and find out how to get her back to being herself, I couldn’t. I was busy with my duties. My father has become extremely persistent in raining me to rule in the past few days. He charged me with negotiating the new treaty of nations with King Ferdinand.

It wasn’t an easy thing to do. Every time I saw his face, I wanted to attack him. I knew it was my absence in Sophia’s life that made her act as she did now,  but seeing how she was treated in his hands made me sick. I was able to stay calm and cordial at best while around King Ferdinand, but my hatred of him burned deep into my core.

There was another problem that was present in my mind. That problem was my brother. I couldn’t get over what he had done. He not only stole my wife, but he betrayed his country and his family. I wanted to let it be, but I couldn’t. Every time I thought about the bruise he put on Sophia’s face or the tears he put in her eyes, it made me more determined.

One morning, I went to my father in his study. I had a plan to end all of the pain Matthew had caused for my family.

I began speaking as soon as I was near my father’s desk. “Everything I said to you about Matthew weeks ago is still true. He has too much power and too little loyalty to be trusted.”

My father’s face stayed frozen in its usual dull expression. “I am aware of the risks his knowledge of our politics could be, but there is nothing that can be done. He may return back to the palace or maybe find a new life somewhere else. I can assure you that your wife is safe and if he comes back, he will be imprisoned for his crimes.” His tone was flat, almost as if he had said this to many people before me.

“I’m not as confident in his kindness as you. We need to do something to ensure that he not be a threat.”

My father rolled his eyes. “If there were anything that could be done, I would do it. Unfortunately, the options I face are slim to none.”

I looked him straight in the eye as I spoke to ensure that he understood the seriousness of my proposal. “It is with a heavy heart I make this suggestion, but as the future king, I need to do what is necessary. Have him killed. It would easily solve the issue.”

My father looked me over for a minute. “You come here to ask that I order the execution of my second son, a son who I was once very fond of?”

“I come here asking for the execution of my brother, a brother who at one time was my best friend and the only person I could trust. However, the situation seems to have changed. I love my country more than I love him. I know you do as well,” I spoke formally. I had thought over every word I spoke hundreds of times.

My father deliberated for a moment before he responded. “If it were as simple as killing him, I would do it. Unfortunately, it isn’t so easy. When word spreads that I have murdered my child, people will revolt. Image is key to power. No one would support my rule if they believed that I was cruel or using my responsibility for evil.”

I had thought of all of this. “I don’t ask you to find him and have him dragged back to the castle to be beheaded. I propose that we hire discrete men who have a lot to lose if they betray us. They shall find him and use an arrow. It will look as though it was a hunting accident and he was an unfortunate victim.”

My father smiled. “I am proud of you. You truly are becoming a leader. Very well then. Make the arrangements. Be assured that there are no holes in the story. The next I shall hear of this is when his body has been found.”

I nodded. “Tell no one of this. It will be a secret known between only you, me, and the men hired.”

With my father in agreement, I set out to make the plans.

Author's Note- Thank you all for reading! I'm sorry that I have updated slowly recently, but I haven't forgotten about this book. Don't worry, there is plenty more story to tell. I will update as often as I can. Thank you for reading. xoxo