Chapter 10

Sophia

Another week went by with too little time to spend with Alexander. We did have a few more conversations but he was still busy being the King without the official title. King Louis has been in his chambers for days without coming out. Servants gossip that he just stares at the wall and neither of his mistresses can get him to look away. My wedding is only 1 ½ weeks away. I can’t wait to marry Alexander and be his forever. I was excited when he summoned me to go on a walk this evening. I met him in the garden where we first kissed. He greeted me with a friendly smile before we began walking along the stones.

“I have an early wedding present for you.” He stated and grabbed my hand. He lightly placed something in it and let go. I pulled my hand up to me and examined the gift. It was a necklace and based on its color and weight, was made of pure gold. It was simple but beautiful. It was a gold chain with a symbol hanging from it.

“I had a goldsmith in the village make it for you. The symbol is our crest. It is a joining of the Spanish crest and the English crest. And when we rule this country together, it will be ours.”

It was the two pillars of my country’s crest. In the middle was the shield of the English. Hovering over it was Spain’s crown with the English lion upon it. It was beautiful.

“I love it, thank you. I shall never take it off.”