Chapter 59

Alexander

The applause our guests was quite reserved. They all lightly cheered as we left, but the moment we stepped outside, pandemonium ensued. The crowds began screaming with joy and throwing flower petals towards us. We smiled and waved for a moment before I turned to Sophia. She always looked beautiful, but today she looked breathtaking. I lifted her veil off of her face and planted a kiss on her cheek.

She giggled as the crowd managed to get louder in their excitement. A carriage rode up in front of us and we made our way down the steps, still holding hands. As we reached the bottom, everything went silent. The head of every person was bowed. I had never seen such a large display of respect before. It seemed my people were already in love with Sophia.

Just as they raised their heads, gasps filled the air. In confusion, I turned to Sophia and saw the object of their shock. She had her head bowed in return. Out of respect for the people, she had bowed her head. That was the most modest display by any member of the English monarchy. She quickly raised her head and smiled at them. Again cheers surrounded us. I offered her my hand and she elegantly entered the carriage and I followed.

“That was… amazing.” I said in awe as we began to ride away.

“It was nothing they didn’t deserve.”

If it was possible, that act made me love her more. I kissed my wife for the first time. I didn’t want to stop, but I had an important thing to speak with her about. “I want to tell you a story.”

“Okay.” Sophia looked confused.

I sighed before beginning. “One of the earliest memories I have was from when I was about four. I snuck away from my governesses and the only thing I wanted to do was see my mother. This was before I realized she despised me.

" I wandered through the halls until I found her room. There were no guards outside and the door was ajar. I peeked my head in and saw my mother cowering in the corner, blood dripping from dozens of open wounds all over her body. My father stood above her holding a tennis racket.”

Her face became horrified. I held her hand in mine. “Why was he so angry?”

I looked at the scenery around us as I continued. “He was yelling because she hadn’t had a child in years. My father is very image oriented. He believes that the public’s view of him is important to his power. He thought he didn’t look masculine because he couldn’t impregnate his wife. I got scared and ran away. I don’t know what happened after that.”

She took a minute to digest the story before she spoke. “What’s the point of telling me this?”

“The point is, I know we won’t always be happy. I know we will fight and disagree, but on the day I witnessed that, I promised myself I wouldn’t be my father. So please don’t be my mother. I promise I will do everything I can to keep you safe and far from pain. In return, please don’t suffer in silence. If you are hurt by anyone, including me, please say something.”

Her somber expression lightened and she smiled. “I promise.”

I felt so much better to have gotten this story off of my chest. I had never shared it with anyone and I was glad Sophia took it seriously because I did. I wouldn’t be my father, I couldn’t. Looking at Sophia today, I couldn’t ever imagine hurting her.

Author's Note- Please comment if you are enjoying the story so far. Thank you all for reading. It means the world to me.