Chapter 35

Matthew

I knew I shouldn’t have, but I decided to anyways. I knocked on her door quietly, afraid she may be asleep.

“Come in.” Her voice echoed. I did as she said. Sophia sat in her bed, reading a book. On her bedside table was the largest glass I’d ever seen and half of it was empty. She smiled at me and put the book down. I smiled back and sat on the edge of the bed. My hands were shaking.

“Hi.” She said, acting extremely chipper.

“Hi.” I said casually. I didn’t know what else to say. We were silent for a few moments. I noticed her tapping her left finger on the spine of the book. “I’ve noticed you seem to favor your left hand over your right.” I mentioned.

She looked at me nervously. “Oh, yes... I was born left handed. The first time I picked up a quill with my left hand, they tied it behind my back. It was like that for over a month until I learned how to use the proper hand. My governess told me it was a sign of the devil and I should never tell anyone about it.”

“Why do you seem so scared to tell me? I don’t care.” I truly was curious in her answer.

“Well, my governess told me a lot of things. Another was that telling one person could insight gossip throughout the world. And what would people think of me then?” She said in mock horror. “But in all honesty, I am afraid of people finding out.”

“Why? It’s not your fault.”

“Try to convince anyone of that. When I asked the same question, I was given a blunt answer. Who would want to have children with someone who received a trait from the devil? What if I gave birth to devil children as well?” She seemed seriously concerned about it.

I tried to make her feel better. “Well, the only person you will have children with is my brother and I don’t think he would mind.”

“I hope not. Thank you for being so kind.”

I didn’t have time for small talk. I had to be brave if I wanted her. “I had wished to do this differently, but May 3rd has approached faster than I thought it would. I’m out of time and I need to tell you.”

She stared at me curiously, her eyebrows raised.

“Don’t marry Alexander.” I blurted. She looked shocked, but I continued. “I see you here and you don’t seem to be getting everything out of life that you want to. You weren’t made to wear fancy dresses and attend parties every night while people gawk at you as if you were a piece of jewelry, nothing more than an object.”

“I…” She began, but I interrupted her.

“Run away with me. Leave here, the danger and structure of English court. We can go anywhere you want. We can get married by a priest in a local church. It seems a lot more like you than the big cathedral wedding awaiting you in 4 days.”

“Matthew… I think your confused.” Sophia couldn’t look me in the eye. “I do love you, but in a different way. You’re like a brother to me.”

“What?”

“Oh, Matthew. When we kissed, I was feeling alone and upset. It very well could have been a stranger that I kissed. It had nothing to do with my feelings towards you.”

I was embarrassed but something about the way she spoke made me continue. “I don’t believe you. There is something in your eyes. You may love Alexander, but you love me too. It scares you and your hiding from it.”

“No, I want to marry Alexander and be friends with you.”

“Just take everything I said into consideration. Sleep on it. The morning will bring you clarity.”

“Why would the morning bring me clarity.” She reached for the glass of water as she spoke and took a sip.

“In the morning, when you first wake up, there is no world complicating things. It’s just your heart telling you what to do.” I left her with that thought and silently walked from her room.