Chapter 3

Sophia

“I know how hard being here is for you, to leave your friends and your family behind you, to never go back. I want to help you in any way I can. Please don’t hesitate to ask of anything, but I must warn you. English court is very different than Spanish court. We have diplomats from many countries, even those who are our enemies. You must be careful what you do because our engagement angers many of them. They will be watching you and there is no telling what they may do.” He cared for me. He wanted to protect me.

I had only had one real conversation with him, but he was perfect. Is it possible to already be in love? His looks didn’t hurt either. I was lead to my room after being introduced to my staff of servants. The large double doors were protected by a guard on each side. My chamber maid Agnes opened the doors before shyly scurrying off down the hall.

I was overcome with shock. A large crystal chandelier hung in the center of the room with a dozen candles lining the edges. A magnificent bed lay in the center of the room. It had silk sheets and a sheer canopy resting over the frame. A mass of elegant couches and chairs were placed around a grand stone fireplace. The walls were a cream color with intricate flowers painted to highlight the colors of the room. There were many windows and a large balcony that overlooked a pond. My ladies had already seen their rooms and were waiting for me. They were sitting on one of the couches near the fireplace.

“Oh, my goodness. This is stunning.” I squealed as I ran towards them.

“This isn’t even the best part.” Eloise giggled. My ladies all stood and led me to a big door next to a bookshelf in the corner of the enormous room. I pushed it open. Inside were many clothing racks. Hanging on them were more dresses than one seamstress could make in a month. Above those were shelves of heeled shoes. Next to the endless shoes were holders full of priceless jewelry. I couldn’t believe it. I gawked for a minute before closing the door and sitting on the couch. My ladies joined me.

“The maid said they deliver a new one to you every week as well.” Lucy remarked.

“Which would you like to wear tonight? There will be a party held in your honor for the entire castle to attend.” Charlotte added.

“I don’t know. This is all so strange. Back in Spain, I wasn’t nearly this important. They only kept me around so I could serve this alliance.”

“Don’t think they care for you any more now.” Amelia said harshly. “I know it’s not what you want to hear, but you must be careful. Nothing is ever as good as it seems.”

I knew she was right. What was the catch? It had all been perfect since I got here. What was going to await me as revenge? Why must my happiness come with revenge?