Chapter 23

Amelia

I couldn’t believe what Sophia was doing, yet I wasn’t surprised at all. She was the type of person who would put her own life on the line for the people she loved. We helped her pack until late at night.

“You should leave now or the servants will become suspicious.” She said.

“Is there anything we can do to help you?” I asked, putting a reassuring hand on her shoulder.

“Yes. They will question you when they find out I’m gone. Act as though you know nothing. It’s the only way to protect yourselves.” She seemed nervous that her plan of escape would fail.

“Will we ever see you again?” Lucy gulped.

“Maybe, but I promise you’ll be taken care of. I will write to my mother or speak to her if I make it to Spain. I will instruct her to find you all husbands so you can be happy. But I want you to know how much you mean to me. You’ve been my closest friends and sometimes the only people I could rely on. I can never repay you for it.”

“Yes you can, by staying alive for as long as possible.” I said and we all nodded. With one last hug and a few more grateful words, we were sent back to our own rooms. As soon as we were out of the sight of the guards, tears came streaming down our sickly pale faces.

Sophia

I left while the sun was just coming over the horizon. I bribed a guard on the grounds to distract the others for a few minutes so I could leave. I was able to escape the palace through the back halls without being seen. I bribed a merchant to put my trunk in his wagon and deliver it to the cabin I planned on staying at tonight. I also bribed the groom in the stable to look the other way as I took my horse from its stall.

I hoped I had paid them enough to keep quiet, but I was sure I must have because the sum made all of their eyes widen. I was not familiar with the area I was riding through, but I had watched carefully as we arrived at court. There was not much else to do but admire the scenery. As soon as I was out of the gates of the palace, I took a deep breath.

They didn’t know I was gone yet and by the time they realized it, I would be long gone. I took a left from the gate which lead me down an old and dusty road. Vast trees surrounded me on either side. Every noise I heard made me jump. Lucy was right. If I were found by a bandit, I would not be able to defend myself. Every time my horses hooves touched the ground, I searched around for anyone who may have heard it. I was fortunate and my searches never turned up anything.

The sun was now bright in the sky, giving me complete light to travel. When the dusty road ended, I turned onto a street that made me much more comfortable. It was often taken by merchants and soldiers. There were a few sparsely separated carriages within sight. I felt much safer, but more worried for my escape. If any of them had been to court and seen me, they would know that I shouldn’t be here. But they all past me without a second glance. I was free… for now.