Chapter 8

Sophia

I tried to avoid Alexander for the rest of the day, but I failed. He approached me as soon as I walked through the door.

“Sophia, may we talk?” He said more kindly than he had been earlier.

I needed to make up with him. My country and my happiness needed it. “Yes. I am very sorry for what happened between us this morning. It was wrong of me to be so disrespectful. Can you forgive my words?”

“Of course I can. You weren’t wrong. I was. I shouldn’t have made such thoughtless accusations against you. I was mad and I didn’t know what to believe.” He disclosed.

“Well, just so you know, I would never do that. I would never betray you.” I smiled at him. He smiled back at me.

“Well, we are having another party tomorrow night. It isn’t mandatory attendance, but it will be more fun than last night. You won’t be passed around for every noble to scare you. Would you like to come?”

I laughed. “Why do you English have so many parties? Are you just looking for excuses to drink yourselves silly?”

He laughed as well. “Some are, but this party actually has a meaning. It is my sister Elizabeth’s birthday. She is 14 tomorrow.”

I couldn’t help but remember the one conversation I had with her. “Well, if it is to celebrate your lovely sister’s birthday, then I would be happy to attend.”

“Then I will see you tomorrow night.”

I had a huge smile on my face as I went back to my room. I wasn’t alone. Charlotte was poking at a fire in the fireplace and turned around when I came in. She had a forlorn look on her face. She sat down on the couch and I joined her.

“We need to talk.” Charlotte whispered. I looked at her with my eyes full of curiosity. “This afternoon, I went on a walk with Duke John Of Pettreton. He told me that he needs a bride to be put into his father’s will and that his father is very sick. He wants to marry me as soon as possible.”

I felt light headed again. How could she already be engaged? “What? You barely know him.”

“You barely know Alexander.” She said it as if she was accusing me of something.

“That is different. I don’t have a choice. I’m doing it for my family.”

“So am I. My father sent a letter ahead of us and I received it yesterday. My family has lost much of our savings. My father lost it by gambling. The King, your father, won’t help. He believes my father was at fault for risking so much and he needs to fix it himself. This is my only hope. I need to help my family and I may never get another chance as fantastic as this.”

I wanted to be upset, but I understood her problem. “So when are you leaving?” I did my best to not become emotional.

“Tomorrow morning is when our carriage will arrive. He told me I would like Hungary. I hear it has long and flowing rivers and beautiful creatures. I wish you to bless our marriage so I can be on my way in the morning.”

“And if I don’t?” We were both well aware that if I chose not to, she couldn’t marry him.

“If you choose not to bless our marriage, then I will end my services as your lady and then accept his proposal. I do believe it would be better for our friendship if you just do as I ask.”

I bit my tongue before I answered. “Have a happy life. I will miss you as you are my oldest and dearest friend.”

Sophia