Chapter 13

Matthew

I trusted my brother could handle the political side of this issue. I had to handle Sophia’s safety. Alexander knew the truth, he was just too worried to admit it. It was an enemy that did this to her. It doesn’t matter how, but they managed to get poison into her system because they were powerful as well.

I had never truly felt safe at court since I was young. There are thousands of guards posted and more roaming the halls, but the people my family needed to fear don’t have to worry about guards. They have enough money and manpower to get the guards to run. They could easily kill us all if they put enough into it. They just haven’t felt a need until now.

Sophia’s presence at court allies us with Spain, another one of the most powerful countries in the world. With their help, we could be unstoppable. Or at least my brother could be when he ruled, though he didn’t want to. He’d spoken many times about not wanting to take over the world, but just protect his people.

As soon as Alexander left, I headed back to the infirmary. I walked slowly, hoping that by the time I reached it, Sophia would be awake and healthy again. She wasn’t. She was still in the same dress she wore earlier while walking around the lake. Doctors rushed around the area, seeming not to notice her. Was she dead? I couldn’t bear to know the answer, so I just sat on the floor in the corner of the room.

People came and went, doctors hovered over Sophia’s still body, and light eventually came in through the windows. They saw me, but never spoke of Sophia’s condition. I wasn’t important enough to be trusted with such information. Everybody in the room dropped to their knees as Alexander came in later in the morning.

He summoned them back to their feet before whispering with a group of doctors. They spoke for a few minutes before bowing and continuing on with their work. Alexander looked silently at Sophia. He knelt at her bedside and held her hand in both of his. I don’t know what he was thinking, but I could guess it was regret for however he was blaming himself for it. Eventually he kissed her hand softly before motioning for me to follow him as he walked out of the infirmary. When we were outside, he started speaking.

“The doctors said they won’t know anything and can’t do anything until her condition changes. Right now she is alive, but not responsive.” He said the words as though it pained him. I stayed silent. How do you respond to something like that? “And I questioned all political enemies at court and all of those who had access to her room. I came up with nothing and the guards didn’t see anything either.” I still didn’t know how to respond, but he didn’t stay for more than a second after finishing his sentence. He headed back towards the palace.