Chapter 99

Sophia

When I awoke, I was in my bed. I recognized the plush softness of my pillows as I opened my eyes. It was bright outside, almost a cheery atmosphere of warmth.

But in my room, there was no joy. I was immediately reminded of the events that took place last night. He was dead. Matthew was dead. I sat up slowly. It felt as if my grief was weighing me down. When I finally was in a sitting position, I realized that my ladies were here with me. They sat on the couch and watched my every move carefully. I slowly pulled the covers off of me and swung my feet to the floor.

When I was stable on the ground, I walked towards them. They all stood and met me half way. Amelia’s arms wrapped around my body. I soon felt Eloise and Jane join in the hug. We didn’t move for a few minutes. I had so many questions for them, but my body ached for comfort.

Eventually, I pulled away and sat down. Jane sat next to me and I snuggled myself against her warm body. Eloise and Amelia sat across from me.

I observed their clothes before I asked my first question. “Did you stay up all night with me?” They were wearing the same outfits I remembered seeing them in the day before.

Jane stroked my head. “No one got any sleep last night anyways. Alexander wouldn’t leave you until someone you knew was by your side. He had a lot to do, so we happily took the position.”

I swallowed heavily. “What happened to me?”

Eloise’s voice was soothing. “The doctors blame a lack of water for your fainting spell, but no one believes that.”

I didn’t believe it either. I quickly replayed the events of last night in my head again. I gritted my teeth as I remembered dinner with my father, but tears began to swell in my eyes as I thought of the last thing that happened.

“He is really dead.” I stated it as a fact, not a question. “What did I miss? What is going on?”

They all looked at each other for a moment before Jane spoke. “His body was brought back to the castle and the King confirmed that it was him. A funeral has been set in two days’ time. The public are grieving.”

“They are, of course, not aware of his wrong doings,” Amelia babbled.

I was lost in thought after my questions had been answered. He was gone. I’m sure that some may believe that I would be happy that my assailant had been terminated, but I wasn’t. All I wanted was to see him one more time. I wanted him to be the boy he had been when I first arrived here. He was light-hearted and witty. He never took a situation too seriously and used his charm to get what he wanted in life.

I ruined him. I turned a good person into a maniac. He deserved a second chance. He deserved a life in this world. If he had gotten the help that he needed, he could have had a future. I ruined him.

Author's Note- I know this chapter is super short. I'm sorry. I just wanted to publish something for you guys. I will post a longer one very soon. xoxo