Chapter 63

Sophia

I didn’t wake to the sun because the room was windowless. Instead, I woke to someone stroking my arm. I didn’t want to open my eyes. I just wanted to remember last night. It was perfect.

Every touch made me want more and every kiss gave it to me. It was so tender and sweet. Alexander was so sweet, making sure I was okay the entire time. I smiled and opened my eyes. I assumed it was morning, but I had no way to tell. The room was empty which was different form last night when it was full of people.

I wore the white dress that was put on me hastily last night. I had my head on Alexander’s chest, his arms wrapped around me and his right hand stroking my arm. As soon as he saw that I was awake, he kissed me on the forehead.

“Good morning.” I mumbled, still trying to gage my surroundings.

“Good morning. How are you feeling?” He seemed genuinely concerned.

I moved around a little. “Amazing, mostly because I woke up in your arms… as your wife.” I added in with a squeak.

Alexander repositioned us. I was now under him and he was above me, his arms on either side to balance his weight. “And I’m your husband.” He smiled and kissed down my neck. I was distracted to easily all of a sudden. I was lost in the moment as his lips then made it up to mine.

“I… would love… to continue… this… but I can’t.” I managed to get out in between kisses.

“Why?” Alexander rolled over next to me and propped up on the pillows.

“My mother is leaving this afternoon and I need to thank her for coming.” I stood up slowly, wanting to avoid becoming dizzy. I didn’t want to get up, but I had to. Alexander followed me up and walked over to me.

“Well”, he said as he wrapped his hands around my waist. “I will see you tonight then.” He kissed me quickly before walking out the door to the hall. I smiled. He did know how to build anticipation.

Matthew

I couldn’t think straight. I hadn’t in the past few… I wasn’t even sure how long it had been since I talked with Sophia. All I knew was that I was broken. I needed to talk to her. I dragged my body down the hallway to her room. There were no guards in front of it so I went in.

She wasn’t there. Was today her wedding day? No. It couldn’t have been that long. I walked over to her large bed and sat on it. The covers were soft and plush. They smelled like her. They had her sweet scent. I couldn’t have her. She was going to be my brother’s wife. She didn’t love me. The one girl I loved didn’t love me back. I wasn’t good enough for her

. I took in the scent of her bed one more time before I got up and stumbled out the open balcony doors. It seemed to be the afternoon based on the sun’s position. It was warm and the lake was beautifully green- the perfect last glance. I didn’t think about what I was doing. I hoisted myself onto the wide stone railing and prepared to jump.