Chapter 33

Matthew

Of course I was worried about Sophia. I prayed she was okay. But I knew she wouldn’t have left unless she was sure of what she wanted. Alexander decided to go and search for her using a faulty claim from a half blind traveler. He just hoped to find her so badly he believed anyone who says they have seen her.

I stayed up that night, waiting for him to return with a face of gloom. But before sunrise, horns sounded. I looked out my window to see him and a small group of guards arrive. There was something wrong with the picture. He wasn’t smiling, but his eyes were glowing with joy I could see from up here. It was then I noticed that there were two bodies on Alexander’s horse. Sophia sat behind him.

She was barely awake and he seemed to be supporting her weight as she wasn't capable of doing it herself. As soon as they got to the entrance he jumped to the ground and carefully lifted her from the horse. There was something different with him. It was how aware he was of her. He cradled her small body close to him, keeping her warm in this unusually cold morning. He touched her with a gentleness I had never seen before.

His kindness was unflagging as he carried her inside the palace. I suddenly understood. I was wrong. I believed he was being kind as usual, but had no feelings for Sophia. I assumed he thought of her as a mere friend. But in him, I saw a love for her that I had never seen before. I stepped back from the window.

I was appalled in myself. I was falling in love with a girl my brother loves. How could I do that? I wanted to forget about her, but forgetting about her was like forgetting your right hand. It will always be there, a part of you and no matter what, you need it.