Chapter 85

Sophia

I ran as fast as I could back towards the palace. I heard the horses hooves trot away and it relieved me to know the carriage had left. What was I going to do? I was aware of the risks I was taking. I was risking my life along with my child’s, but I couldn’t abandon everyone at court when they needed me most. I couldn’t be so selfish. I kicked off my heels as I charged forward. My ankle was so badly injured that it had gone numb. I’m sure it would be an issue later, but at the moment it was helpful.

I could hear the sounds of swords scraping together as I approached the front entrance. I was surprised to find no rebel soldiers outside, but they must have had priorities inside. When I walked through that door, I had no idea what I would find. There could be battles everywhere or dead bodies strewn across the floors. My inner conflict was controlling my thoughts. Would going in there make the situation worse for everyone involved? Would I be able to help? I couldn’t help but believe the first one, but it was too late to turn back.

I took a deep breath and pushed open the stone doors. I wasn’t overly shocked at what I saw. Palace guards were fighting the rebels all over the halls. Some who had fought lost their battles. I could tell from the blood stains and limp bodies. No one seemed to notice that I had arrived. I carefully slid against the walls until I reached the throne room door. It was already ajar and I crept in. I was immediately relieved. Alexander was standing with his father, not harmed at all.

They were speaking to two men. One was wearing the clothes of a nobleman and the other had the Portuguese crest sewn into his shirt. They must have been the people responsible for the attack. How could they all just stand there while people were being killed?

I only hoped they were negotiating a deal to stop this monstrosity. There was another underlying question haunting me. Why was I here? My decision was rash and idiotic. Alexander was a grown man who could take care of himself. He was well trained to handle situations like this.

I would only get in the way of his ability to do his job. I was risking everything for a useless show of my love for him. I was only embarrassed now. I had to leave before I was recognized. I slowly began to back up, keeping my eyes on Alexander as he spoke to the small group. I was almost out the door when I slammed into something. It wasn’t a wall because I had been watching for them.

The object smirked and wrapped it’s arms around my waist. “Ola, Princesa Sophia.” I knew enough Portuguese to translate that sentence.

“O que você quer?” I whispered. What do you want?

Just as I finished speaking, Alexander turned his head in my direction. Confusion covered his face as he observed the situation. “Sophia? What are you doing here?”

I sighed. “I won’t blame anyone else for this situation. It was my own stupidity that led me here.”

He didn’t seem to hear me as he glared towards my confiner. “What are you doing here?”

I almost laughed as the stranger behind me pulled a knife to my neck. How had I managed to find myself in this situation twice? By now, everyone in the room was staring at us.

My attacker answered Alexander smugly. “Estou aqui para fazer vingança.” I am here for revenge.

Revenge? Who was behind me and what revenge did he have to fill? “Quem é você?” Who are you? I asked this question carefully, still very aware of the situation. I got no answer.

Alexander slowly moved towards us, his hands in the air. “Deixe-a ir e você pode ter o que quiser.” Let her go and you can have whatever you want. I wasn’t aware that Alexander spoke Portuguese, but I now knew otherwise.

I was becoming irritated with the Portuguese conversation, but I wasn’t sure if my attacker spoke English as he continued in Portuguese. “Deixe-me levá-la e vamos deixar o seu palácio.” Let me take her and we will leave your palace. Why did this person want me so badly? Was I the reason for this whole disaster? If that was the deal they wanted, I would gladly let it happen.

Alexander shook his head and was about to object, but the King came running over, pushing his son aside. “Concordo. Agora, deixe por favor.” Agreed. Now leave please.

Alexander’s face was boiling with rage. “No. I won’t let you do this.” He screamed at his father.

The King looked back at him. “You don’t have a choice. I am the King and you can do nothing.”

The man holding me seemed to be annoyed with this argument. He began pulling me away. “Tchau. Eles vão cancelar os homens quando se foram.” Goodbye. They will call of the men when we are gone.

I closed my eyes. I couldn’t bear to see Alexander’s face as I was being dragged away. I have no idea what it was, but I am positive it would have broken my heart. I kept them closed as I was lead through the groans of men fighting for their lives. I finally opened my eyes when I felt the warm summer night breeze brush across my face. We were outside and heading towards the forest.

“Well, alone at last, my dear”, the familiar voice whispered in my ear.

I craned my neck to see who was taking me. My mouth dropped when I saw his face illuminated by the moon. “ Matthew!”

Author's Note- Thank you for reading and please check out my interview with @TAPavelek to learn about me and how I am inspired. 

http://wattpadauthorinterviews.weebly.com/interviews/dynastyofroyals-interview