Chapter 39

Lucy

I kept my head down as I made the long journey to his bedroom. I almost tripped several times on my dress. Was I nervous? The first time I was with him was unexpected, unplanned. I was simply walking down a hallway when he requested my presence.

He charmed me for a few minutes before I couldn’t resist his advances, but I wouldn’t have anyway if I valued my life. Eventually I reached his door. It was large and heavy with the English coat of arms carved into the center. I felt my cheeks become hot as a guard took notice of me and went in to make my presence known. He only kept me waiting for a few seconds before I was ushered into his room. I calmed down as I saw his familiar face. I heard the guard close the door behind me.

“Your majesty.” I giggled as I curtsied.

A smile grew on his face and he walked over to me. “You are a loyal subject of your King.”

“Well, it is an honor to be in his luminous presence.”

The King grabbed me by the waist. “Don’t be afraid to show me what an honor it is.” He whispered in my ear before trailing kisses down my neck. His hands easily untied the back of my dress.

I felt so at home with the King. He was everything I had been looking for and more. I knew it must remain a secret, but all I wanted to do was tell the world.

Sophia

I couldn’t believe she said that. I was assuming that inside of her stellar complexion would be a good person, but I was wrong. I thought about telling Alexander about her goals, but it just didn’t seem right. She doesn’t deserve that. Even if she did, I knew that it would be a bigger problem for us than it would be for her.

Alexander still has lasting feelings for her and would resent me for claiming such things. Beyond that, I had much more important issues to deal with. The situation with Matthew and Alexander. The more I thought about it, the more confused I became. What were my true feelings? I was now supremely confident that a stranger knew about as well as I did.

I was so unsure, so I decided to take Matthew’s advice. I went to bed early, only a few minutes after the sun set. I slept a dreamless sleep and was woken by the sun’s gentle light. In my barely awake state, there was only one person I wanted to see. I leaped from my bed, only one person in mind. I had my maids dress me quickly. As soon as I was wearing clothes and had my hair styled into a braid, I went running towards Matthew’s room.