Chapter 62

Sophia

I felt every step I took as I walked back inside. I was scared for the reality awaiting me, but I had to face it. Alexander and I were separated by our own groups of servants after the fireworks and rushed in different entrances to avoid the crowd of guests.

Not having him by my side only made the situation more daunting. Too soon, I was inside and being pulled up a side staircase. We went through so many halls, stopping at the most secluded door in the palace. It swung open before any of the maids could reach for the handle. More maids were awaiting my arrival inside.

The room was bland. It was clearly just for dressing as it only had an armoire and a mirror for furniture. Before I could say hello to the large group, the door was slammed shut and my dress was being unbuttoned. It was gently slipped off of me and then many hands began to unlace my corset. I stood still as the mess of people got to work.

As soon as my corset was open, it was pulled off of my body. My consummation dress was pulled over my head immediately. While half of the maids worked on putting it on me, the other half began taking out my hair. Pins came falling to the floor in a storm of panic as the speedy women pulled my hair into loose curls. They framed my face, giving it a soft and gentle look. It seemed that all the hands left my body at once.

The maids backed away to one edge of the room, awaiting my reaction. I appraised myself in the mirror. My face was glowing with excitement and nerves. My hair looked silky and soft. My dress was flowing in an elegant wave down to my feet. I felt so free in the flimsy cloth. I tried my best to steady my voice as I whispered, “Thank you. I look amazing.”

They all smiled and curtsied. A few of them left to do other tasks while some stayed behind to hang up my dress and pick up the pins that were scattered around the floor. I paced. My nerves were unsteady and erratic. I trusted Alexander. I wasn’t afraid of him, but the others.

I wished I could just ignore them, but I felt like it wouldn’t be an easy task. Before I had time to come up with a plan, a woman peeked her head in a door connected to the far wall. I wasn’t sure what it was connected to, but I had a feeling. She smiled coldly at me and gestured for me to follow her. I moved slowly again, savoring every moment I had left. I kept my eyes on the ground as I walked into the adjoining room. The door shut behind me and I worked up the courage to lift my gaze.

The eyes of every person in the room were on me. A dozen men stood on one side of the room. They were in a cluster by the farthest wall. I recognized a few of them as advisors of the King. On the opposite wall were two maids, a doctor, and three guards. There was no furniture except a large bed covered in white sheets and a canopy. My face got hot and I looked back at the floor. I shuffled my feet as the woman guided me forward. We stopped walking when we were in front of the foot of the bed.

“Stand up straight.” She demanded, pulling my shoulders back from their slouch. I took a few more deep breaths and then looked up. I saw the end of the woman’s dress disappearing back into the room we came from. I was alone with a room full of strangers, wearing the most revealing outfit I had ever worn. I suddenly felt very self-conscious and wrapped my arms across my chest.

No one was fazed. The entire room was silent and the faces of everyone in it seemed to be dead. Before I had time to grow more uncomfortable, another door opened. Through it came a few male servants. As they spaced out, Alexander entered. He nodded his head to the servants who brought him in and they too left. I could hear my heart beating in my ears. Alexander didn’t even acknowledge the mass of spectators in the room. He calmly walked over to me. I released my clenched arms as he reached me. He wrapped his arms around my waist.

“Remember my promise.” He whispered. “And remember yours.”

I smiled and my nerves disappeared. I knew I was safe because I was with him.