Chapter 39

“I can’t do hair.”

“Wait? What does that have to do with anything?” Caleb asks as he looks at me as if I’m retarded.

At the moment it’s Serenity, Jordan, Caleb, Mel and I just chilling in my living room as I rub my almost 7  month old pregnant belly. Hell yeah! I am due by the end of the year.

“I don’t want a daughter because if I have one her hair will be a hot mess.” I say simply.

“Tati you’re not serious right now.” Mel says laughing.

I shake my head.

“Won’t the baby be mixed so the hair won’t be much of a problem?” Jordan asks and Mel and Serenity shake their heads as they both work in a salon.

“No… This one time, a woman made me perm her kid’s hair because she kept breaking combs and shit and no one in her house knew how to tame it.” Serenity smiles.

“Wait. So you’re telling me that you don’t want a daughter because you can’t do hair?”

“Exactly that…. Do you know how impatient I am? It would be so much simpler if I get a son and then all I need to do is get his hair cut.” I say crossing my arms.

“That has to be the stupidest thing that you said by far.” My sister says and I glare at her.

“Shut up! I hate doing people’s hair… Why do you think I’m Melanie’s friend.” I say simply.

Melanie rolls her eyes, looking unfazed, “Here I thought we were friends because our personalities went well together.”

I laugh at this and she throws a pillow at me.

“So is that the only reason you don’t want a daughter?” Caleb asks and I shake my head.

“No… Girls are too much maintenance besides hair and all that crap, and imagine when she’s going to rebel as a teenager. My daughter. I won’t know what to do. And you sure as hell won’t either… You barely know how to handle me. So why would I want that?” I say simply.

“I don’t know though.” Jordan decides to say. “Having a daughter seems like something I would want.” He says looking at my little sister who bites he lower lip shyly. “I would get to spoil her and protect her from boys. She’ll be my princess.”

 “And where do you even get all this money to spoil people?” I ask as I notice my sister’s diamond necklace and bracelet.

“Don’t watch that.” He says simply

“Tatianna as much as you want to complain though… The doctor says that we’re having a girl.” Caleb says and I roll my eyes as I look in front of me and stare at all the gifts that people have given us at our baby shower.

*Flashback*

When we found out the baby’s gender and Caleb did the most embarrassing happy dance which involved the cabbage patch, running man and a bit of Beyonce. When I found out, I was beaming and cool about it.

Anyhow, with one quick phone call, a baby shower was planned at Caleb’s parent’s house as well as big balloons saying ‘It’s a girl’ and shit. With everyone’s congrats, I’m getting a shitload of advice from so many different people. Which has me a bit afraid of having a daughter; some woman said that a little daughter is ten times as worst as her mother which had me scared.

All through the night as I am getting pink frilly things from our guests as presents, I can’t help but stop rubbing my stomach and thinking to myself.