Chapter 30

A week later after Caleb and I announced the engagement to my family things went back to normal slightly. I am still working at the restaurant like crazy for school and have a great amount saved up to date for that and I had exams and I also applied for med school. We have yet to tell Caleb’s family because he is waiting for the right time to tell them…

So when I come home from a long day from work since the term is done I grab the mail and throw my keys on the counter while locking the door. It’s Melanie’s month to pay the bills and mine to pay rent so I leave those bills on the counter for her. It isn’t until I feel a thick folder and see my name written on it that I start somewhat hyperventilating. Looking at it I feel my heartbeat grow faster.

I want to open it but I don’t want to. I feel sort of bad because no one is here with me right now. It would figure I am home alone when I get the most important letter of my life… I look at it and leave it on the table and close my eyes and breathe.

Okay… This is it. The moment I have been waiting for. I worked for it and it’s only fair that I open the letter. And I might not have been accepted.  So me being the overachiever that I was managed to do some really time consuming thing and take as many classes that I could so I was eligible for med school earlier. And this is my answer. I deserve to see it… After the interview, the essay and all that work I have the right….

I take the letter in my hands and slowly rip it open so I can savour the moment. As I open it I take the papers in my hand and quickly read it.

“Dear Miss Cadet… It is our pleasure to offer you a position in….”

OH LORD.

OH LORD

OH LORD.

I got accepted. I begin jumping in the house. I grab my phone and call my mother first because she would want to hear this.

When I call the house I hear a man’s voice.

“Hello?” He says in a deep voice.

“Umm hi is my mom there?” I ask hesitantly.

“And who might that be?”

“Mara?” I ask and hope that I dialled the wrong number.

He grunts and tells me to wait a minute and he calls for mother.

Who the hell is he? Forget med school what the hell is a man doing in my mommy’s house.

“Hello?” I hear my mom’s farmiliar voice ask.

“Hey mom.” I say.

“Hey baby girl how are you?” She asks.

“I’m good… Who was that on the phone?” I ask bluntly.

“That’s none of your business Tatianna. But if you must know I have a friend over. Now what’s going on? Why did you call?” She asks.

“Mommy… I got a letter from the faculty of medicine.” I say, “And I got accepted.”

My mom gasps and I can hear her smile through the phone, “Good job Tati, I am so proud of you baby.” She says and I smile.

“Thanks mom.”

“No problem. Now I’m going to let you celebrate because I know you have yet to tell you fiancé” She says.

“All right bye mom… And tell your boyfriend I say hi too.” I say.

“You do the same then.” She says and we both hang up.

Hanging up the phone I go to the fridge to heat up some leftover food and then poor some pop for myself and sit down by the counter. I dial Caleb’s phone number and hesitate. He hung out with friends today so that means by now he must be home… I dial his number and he answers.