Chapter 30

Sophia

I heard the calls of soldiers riding horseback. They slowly rode past my cabin. I didn’t make my presence known. If I was going to meet my end here, I would do it alone.

One man stayed behind the rest. He had injured his ankle and decided to camp outside for the night. That made everything more difficult. I could no longer go outside and get water from the stream. My only hopes of survival were slowly wearing away, I was feeling more weak by the moment.

A constant state of dizziness was always in my head. I had tried to stand, but had fallen over. I felt weak. My limbs were tired and sore. I was past a dull discomfort. The burn in my throat was now a fire begging for water to extinguish it. My stomach was a hallow pit of nothing. There was nothing that was helping my body run. The hours past slowly and painfully.

The only thing I could do was lay there and think about everything I was leaving behind. My wedding was only 5 days away now. I could be at the castle, eating the best food and drinking the finest wine. All I would have to do was go outside and make my presence known to the soldier, but then I thought of Alexander. His perfect face kept my resolve. Dusk was beginning to fall and so was my life.