Chapter Thirty-Seven

Dara woke up without Jin-ho by her side. She sat up abruptly and quickly left the room while her heart was pounding hard. "Jin-ho! Baby, where are you?" She called.

She rushed outside the house but still wasn't able to see her son.

"Where are you, Jin-ho? How come I didn't notice you getting out of bed?" She panicked.

She was about to knock on Halmeoni Hye-ja's house when she heard chuckles from inside. "Jin-ho?" She exclaimed.

"Halmeoni... Halmeoni..." She knocked on the door.

"That's Mommy." She heard Jin-ho spoke.

The door opened and Halmeoni Hye-ja appeared, smiling at her.

"Sorry to disturb you, Halmeoni. Is my son here?"

"He is. He came out of the house and said he didn't want to wake you up. Come inside and join your son." Halmeoni told her.

"Have I left the door open?" Dara asked while stepping inside the house.

"It's actually my fault. I went there to check on you but wasn't able to close the door when I left... Jin-ho's in the dining room." The old lady guided her towards her son.

"Jin-ho..." Dara called before she can even reach the dining area. "You made Mommy wo—..." She wasn't able to finish what she was about to say.

"Mommy." Jin-ho jumped down from Jiyong's lap and ran towards her. He gave her a hug.

"I saw him outside the house. He was looking for someone to play with him but he didn't want to wake you up." Jiyong stood up after Jin-ho left his lap.

"Why?..." Dara looked confused.

"Why what?"

"You're here. How come?"

"Uhm... I drove? Am I not allowed to be here?"

"I'm sorry. That's not what I mean." She looked down and took Jin-ho in her arms. "I know for sure you wouldn't want me to be here. We'll just leave."

"Mommy, you said Jin-ho will swim tomorrow." The little kid told her.

"You don't have to leave. I don't have the right to stop you from staying in the house at the backyard. I'm gonna leave tomorrow morning anyway. I'm just staying for the night because Halmeoni wanted me to."

"But..." Dara was about to say something but Halmeoni interrupted.

"He's staying here tonight, Dear. Both you and Jin-ho can stay in the backyard house."

"Do you know him, Mommy?"

"Mommy knows him from work, Baby." Dara answered, smiling at her son.

"Jiyong helped me prepare dinner for tonight. Why not join us?" Halmeoni invited.

"We're okay, Halmeoni. It's gonna be too much."

"I'll get hurt if you don't accept it."

Dara looked at Jiyong who only gave her a shrug.

"Let me prepare the table so we can have dinner early." Halmeoni Hye-ja didn't give Dara any more chance to decline. She got plates frontage kitchen cabinet and placed the food on the table.

****************

...flashback...

"Jiyong, look what I've found." Dara came rushing at Jiyong who was seated on the sand. She opened her hands and a starfish appeared on it.