Chapter Twenty-Three

A knock on the door interrupted Dara from fixing Jiyong and her clothes.

"Jiyong probably forgot something." She mumbled to herself while walking towards the door.

"Have you forgotten something?" She asked, opening the door, thinking it was Jiyong.

Her eyes widened in shock after seeing who it was.

"How have you been, Dara?"

"Jae... Jaejoong?"

"It's been months since I last saw you." He smiled a little.

"What?... How?"

"Don't worry, I came alone. Can I come in?"

Being careful, she looked around before widening the open door. She shut it closed after they got inside.

"How did you know where we are?"

"I tried watching Chaerin's whereabouts without letting her know."

"Jaejoong, please. Just let us be."

"Even if I do, they'll find both of you eventually."

"Not if you don't tell them."

"Dara, you don't know the consequence of what you are doing. I've warned you before."

"I'm not giving up."

"Sit down." He instructed.

"You don't tell me what I need to do in my own house."

He held her shoulders and pushed her, carefully, on the chair behind her. He followed, sitting beside her. "My father's a bad man, Dara. He's someone who doesn't let anyone mess up with his plans." He combed his hair with his fingers.

"What plans?"

"Remember when I told you your father made the biggest mistake of doing business with my father?" He tried to remind her. "It was a hint. I wanted to convey to you the message that you can't escape this... but instead of listening, you chose to ran away."

"I don't understand what you're saying."

"Then let me make you understand. My father has secret dealings. All those gangster stuff... he's involved with that. Now, your father is someone he wants to use as a connection to establish his secret business more. YOU... You'll serve as his card to scare your father. That's why he needs you back."

"And you're your father's puppet? You're disgusting."

"I don't think I deserve that. I'm here to help you."

She chuckled inwardly. "Help?"

"I am not on my father's side. But I can't run away from his shadow because I have my mother to protect. I hope you understand."

Her forehead creased.

"I'm not the enemy here, Dara. I want to take my father down but I can't do it alone."

"What am I to do with your plans?"

"You play a great role... You and your father. He knows about all this."

"Since when?"

"I've spoken to him more than a month after you've gone missing. He called for me and wanted to cancel the wedding. I had no choice but to tell him everything to keep him safe... Dara, you're father is an important connection to my father. He'll do everything to have him on his side."

"I can't leave Jiyong behind."

"I know how important Jiyong is for you more than anything else. If he is really important, you should be willing to go back to keep him safe."