Forever Mine Chapter 65

Wesley's Favor

The next day I was sitting in McGonagall’s chair, my feet on her desk, tossing crumpled up pieces of paper onto the first desk in the rows.

“You do know we’re supposed to be putting these papers away, right?” Wesley said irritably as the paper hit him instead of the desk.

“And you do know that we’re allowed to use magic?” I flicked my wand and the huge stack of papers that I was supposed to be working on sorted themselves and flew into their proper file cabinet. “God that was easy.”

He scowled, stacking a few papers. “Not using magic to do things calms me.”

“How?” I leaned forward, taking my feet off the desk. “I find it rather annoying.”

“I find you rather annoying.”

“Bite me.”

“I’d rather not.”

I must admit, I was enjoying bothering Wesley. It’s Professor McGonagall’s fault, really, for putting us together in the same room and asking us to do this for her.  I mean seriously? It would’ve taken her negative two seconds to do this by herself. Was she trying to get Wesley to kill me? Lord. I stuck my tongue out at the Ravenclaw, who smirked to himself as he opened a cabinet and placed a stack inside. I got up and walked over, sitting on the desk he was at and fingering through the papers. “What is all this stuff anyways?”

“Dunno. Something important?”

“And she’s having me near them? Fat chance.” Suddenly, my arm jerked and hit the papers. They fell off the desk and flew everywhere. Wesley wasn’t even fazed. He just bent down and started picking them up, his eyes flickering up at me. I avoided them, ready for the questions. But none came.

“Are you okay?” He asked instead. I squinted at him.

“Fine. Aren’t you… wondering what was up with that?”

He shook his head, laying a few papers on the seat. “You’d tell me if you wanted to.”

“That’s very un-Wesley like.”

Wesley laughed. “Alright, I’ll bite. What was up with that?”

“Oh.” My face fell and I slid off the desk. “Nothing.”

“See?”

“Well, it’s something but I-”

“I know.”

I stopped, nearly stumbling into McGonagall’s desk. “What?” I asked, slowly turning around. Wesley wasn’t meeting my eyes.

“I mean, it wasn’t that hard to figure out. Just had to look up your real dad.” He was completely calm as he picked up the papers.

“And you- you’re not freaked out?”

“No.” He looked up at me. “Sorry that sounded mean. I mean, I care about you, of course but there’s nothing anyone can do, right?”

I blinked. Wow, thanks Wesley. But he was right. “Yeah. You know,” I walked over and helped pick up papers. “it’s refreshing to have someone not freak out over this. I mean, I’ve accepted it by now.”

“That’s good.” His eyes flashed to mine. “It’s good that you’re able to accept it.”

“Yeah, I got that, Wesley.”

Then I remembered something. Something that I hadn’t thought of for a while now. I’d sort of pushed it to the back of my mind. But now it was out in the open. I’d thought of it first on the night I fell in the shower. When Fred was holding me, back when things were good.