Forever Mine Chapter 52

I felt terrible.

It was nearly a month before Fred and I talked again. Not until my birthday. I felt sick to my stomach. I wanted to talk to him, I really did, but the thing is; something would always happen. Like this;

It was breakfast and I was determined to talk to Fred. I mean, he was still mad at me for hanging around with Wesley and James so did that mean we were kind of broken up? I was aching to know. So I marched into the Great Hall and was less than a foot from where he was sitting when, “Miss Tate, I need to see you for a moment.” McGonagall stepped in my way.

“Professor could I please-”

“I’m sure whatever it is can wait. I’m concerned about the quality of your work. Come with me.”

Turns out I wasn’t really following directions, seeing as I was too distracted by Fred not speaking to me. Oh, yeah. I forgot to mention; it wasn’t just the distractions that were preventing me to talk to him. He was ignoring me. Flat-out ignoring me. Like this;

“Come on, Seph!” James pulled on my sleeve. We were heading up to the common room to work on a massive prank we’d been planning for weeks. (Yes, this is important. It comes in later)

“Go on without me. I’ll be up in a second.” I said, waving him off as I walked towards Fred. James looked like he wanted to say something else but a blonde girl tapped him on the shoulder, therefore very much distracting him. Before shooting him a smirk I sat beside Fred. George and Lee both looked at me as if to say “Um. What are you doing?” I smiled and they didn’t return it. “Hey Fred.” I tapped his shoulder. “Can we talk?”

“About what?” George asked. Fred was leaned over a chess board, staring at a piece, refusing to even glance at me.

“None of your business, Nosey.” I replied.

“Knight to E-3.” Fred murmured.

“I don’t think he wants to talk.” Lee whispered. He was sitting across from me, beside George, who was playing against Fred. “Do you, Fred?”

And Fred shook his head.

*

Like I said, I felt terrible. Not in the guilty way. In the I-was-being-pushed-out way. It hurt. So, on my birthday, when everyone got me gifts –this magic moisturizer from Serena and Ginny, candy from James, and a book from Wesley (surprising)- I didn’t expect there to be one from Fred. But on the night of February 2nd, when I was late going to dinner I nearly stepped on a bouquet of flowers. And tied to it was a rolled-up piece of parchment. I bent down, unrolled, and read it.

In Greek Mythology there was a very special daughter of Zeus; Persephone.

When she was young-ish (Like 18) she was kidnapped by Hades, God of the Underworld.

Her mother pitched a huge fit and in the end Persephone was allowed to come back to the normal world for half the year.

But the other half she had to spend with Hades.

At least, that’s what I read in this book Hermione gave me.

Now, I’m assuming that you were named after this girl. (Goddess, I mean, which is fitting. Since you’re also a goddess. “My, my, Fred. Flattery will get you nowhere.”) I also found out that the meaning of the name Persephone is; “Bringer of destruction”.

Which is just cool.

I also found out that her favorite flower is the pomegranate. I know what you’re thinking; “What? The pomegranate is a flower?” It confused me too.

Happy Birthday, Seph.

~ Fred W. ~

Like there was any other Fred who would be giving me this. I picked up the flowers and gave them a sniff. Yeah, definitely pomegranate. And then I counted them; seventeen. I beamed and ran from the common room, not bothering to even set down the flowers. But I did hold them carefully as I screamed happily; causing tons of people to give me looks and Filch to yell at me. I didn’t care. Just by this note things were already returning to normal. I found Fred outside of the Great Hall and I jumped on him. He held me up by my legs, which were wrapped around his waist, and I flung my arms around his neck, the flowers still in my hand, and we kissed for the longest time. George’s voice came from behind Fred as he talked to who I assumed was Lee.

“Pomegranates. Nice touch.”

*

Oh, but the drama was just beginning.