Forever Mine Chapter 31

I looked at Ginny and frowned.  “So, you’re telling me that the only reason we came to this dueling club thingy was so I can purposely fail and you can impress Harry?”

She glanced at Harry and Ron, who were peering into the classroom, like they were debating on whether to come in or not. “Maybe.” She muttered. I glared at her for a few moments.

“Fine.” I snapped. Ginny smiled hugely and took out her wand. I took out mine as well but with no intention to use it. Hey, who was I to get in her way if she wanted to impress the boy?

“Ready?” Ginny asked, holding her wand up. I nodded and braced myself for her spell. “Expelliarmus!” She shouted. But I wasn’t shot backwards. My wand didn’t fly from my hand. In fact, the complete opposite happened. Ginny flew backwards into a mat on the wall and she fell to the floor. I stared with wide eyes and looked down at my wand. Ginny stood up and rubbed her head. I could just imagine the look of horror that would appear upon Mrs. Weasley’s face if she were to hear her daughter cuss like she did then. A few people glared at us.

“Sorry! Sorry!” I cried. “But I didn’t say any incantation.”

Ginny frowned and walked towards me. “That’s impossible!” I shrugged and held up my wand to look at. “Try it again.” She said, backing up to her spot. “Okay… Expelliarmus!” The spell didn’t hit me. Instead, a white light came from my wand and shot Ginny back into the wall once more. I gasped and dropped it. Ginny quickly recovered.

“Did you see that?” I whimpered, seriously freaked out by the wand lying on the floor, lifeless and innocent. Ginny nodded.

“Seph?”

“Huh?”

“I think we’d better pay another visit to the Grey Lady.”

*

It wasn’t that hard to find her. She was usually in the most secluded place in the castle. When Ginny and I approached, she frowned. “What do you want?” she asked in a very Percy-like way. I held up my wand.

“Why does it always shoot spells when someone tries to curse me?” I asked. The Grey Lady sighed. I think.

“Why must you pester me?”

“Why won’t you answer me?”

She shot me a deathly look. “The wand has a single hair from my mother in it. Now, most witches and wizards are buried with their wands, yes? But she left hers in the care of Ollivander so that it could be passed to her last heir. She didn’t want her last heir -you- to be hurt so she made Ollivander infuse her hair within the wand. The wand senses that its core is somehow related to you so it protects you. It’s all very sentimental and so on, now, would you kindly leave?”

I stared at my wand, rather disturbed. The Grey Lady glided through a nearby wall and Ginny grabbed my arm. “That… is so…. Bloody… AWESOME! Let’s go test it out some more!”

And that’s exactly what we did.

*

When I walked back up to the common room, I ran right into Fred. Like literally. We were in front of the portrait; he was going out, I was going in and I fell back and slid on my butt, hitting my back up against the rail. Fred hurried forward and held out his hand. I took it, blushing and he pulled me up. “So, been avoiding me much lately?”

I smiled. “Maybe.”

“It was kind of weird, huh?” he asked, walking into the common room. I shrugged and followed him.

“Kind of.”

He turned around. “Are we okay?”

I smiled. “Of course.”