Forever Mine Chapter 37

(So sorry for the super short chapter... :D)

Serena and I thought we’d take a while after the D.A. meeting to work on some homework that we should’ve done a long time ago. Every so often, Serena would glance up at me nervously and then look back down at her paper. Finally, about the sixth time she looked at me when I was nearly done with my History of Magic essay on centaur history, I glared at her. “What?” I snapped. Serena’s eyebrows shot up.

“What?” She asked.

“Why are you looking at me?”

“I’m not.”

“You are.”

“I’m not.”

“You are!” I shouted. She looked genuinely hurt for me shouting. “Sorry.” Serena pursed her lips and shook her head.

“It’s okay.”

We sat in semi-awkward silence for a few minutes until, “Goodnight.” A quiet voice said as the portrait hole shut. A very happy looking black-haired Danni walked in, swinging her arms happily. She stopped as she saw me and smiled, coming over to look at what I was doing. “Hi.” She said cheerily, peering over my shoulder. “Oooh centaurs. That’s exciting.” Serena choked on a laugh.

“Not really.” I muttered, looking up at her. She beamed down at me. “Were you out with Wesley?” My voice sounded much bitterer than I had expected, causing Serena to give me a blank look. But Danni didn’t notice, she fell back onto the couch beside Serena.

“Yeah. He’s so nice and cute and sweet and fun.”

“Fun?” I laughed. “Yeah right.”

“Well,” Danni said. “You wouldn’t know. You’re so rude to him.” I blinked.

“I’m rude to him?”

“Yeah.” Danni looked completely unconcerned. I continued writing. “I think he likes you.” Serena and I both froze. I forced a laugh.

“What?”

But Danni looked furious. “Just stay away from my boyfriend, Seph.” She said murderously. I glanced at Serena.

“Wha- Don’t worry. I don’t like Wesley.”

Danni pulled out her wand. “Don’t lie.”

“Put that away!” I cried, pulling out my wand too.

“Put yours away!” Danni stood up.

“Danni, this is stupid. Put your bloody wand away.”

“Oh, it’s not bloody. Yet.”

“That’s an expression.”

“I know.”

“Put it away!”

“Tell the truth!”

“I am!”

“You’re lying!”

Serena was used to us fighting so she continued working, knowing we wouldn’t really hurt each other. “No, I’m not!”

Danni raised her wand to my throat, catching Serena’s attention. “Whoa. Danni!” She jumped up.

“Back off, Serena. I know when you’re lying, Seph.”

Now, I wasn’t at all frightened by Danni but the fact that I dropped my wand and it had rolled under the couch rather put me off my game. “I’m not lying.”

“Yes you are!”

“Fine!” I lied. “I like Wesley!” Danni backed off, hurt etched on her face. Serena looked at me, eyes wide. Neither of them knew I was lying, of course. Danni turned around and stomped up the stairs. Serena gasped and I looked at her, ready to explain. But she was looking beyond me. I followed her gaze, just in time to see Fred walking back through the portrait hole. George stood there looking at me for a moment and was about to follow him when I ran past him, after Fred.

“Fred! Fred!” I called as the Fat Lady swung shut. He kept walking. I caught his shirt sleeve. “Hey.” I said, smiling as he swiveled around. “I was lying.” He looked away.

“No you weren’t, Seph.”

“What?” I asked, crossing my arms, still smiling.

“I heard you talking in your sleep.” He said. My smile faded.

“What?” I repeated.

“Saying his name. You like him, don’t deny it.”

My mouth fell open. “Fred-” I stuttered. He shook his head.

“I was willing to ignore it but Seph; I can’t do this if you have feelings for someone else.”

My heart dropped. My stomach lurched. “What do you mean?”

“I don’t think we should be together. At least for a while.”

“What- I- you- You’re serious?”

He nodded.

“You’re crazy, Fred!”

He began to back up. “Probably. I’ll see you.” Fred walked away.