Forever Mine Chapter 38

The library is always empty at dinner time. Except on the night of November the tenth when Ginny and I were sitting at a table, pouring over countless books.

“How do I know they’re even memorable?” I asked, throwing yet another book back on the side of the table we figured was useless.

“I don’t know, Seph. But they’ve got to be here somewhere.” Ginny ran her finger down a list of names, searching for my parents. “Sylvia and Blaine Raise.” She kept murmuring. “Sylvia and Blaine Raise.” I sighed, resting my head in my hands. Ginny glanced up. “Hey.” She said, placing a hand on my arm. “Are you alright?”

I nodded. “I’m fine, Ginny.”

“No you aren’t.” She argued. I put my head back in my hands.

No I wasn’t.

It had only been a few days but I was going crazy without Fred. I wasn’t in a post-breakup faze where I didn’t bathe or sleep but I still felt a little numb. There was only one way I could really forget was through pranks. I’d finally got Serena’s old prankster to come back in her and we’d been going wild. It just proved, she said that we didn’t need Fred and George to have a good time. And I guess it was true, we didn’t. George and Fred may have been able to run faster and not get caught but we were better because we took our time. Just earlier that day, in fact, we’d snuck into Filch’s office and planted timed dungbombs that exploded whenever he opened the door and then bubotuber puss would fall on top of his head, work of Peeves. Suddenly, Ginny nudged me. I looked up and saw that her face was lit like she had a brilliant idea. “Come on, I got an idea!” She said, standing up and walking towards the front of the library. The librarian, Madame Pince wasn’t there, which I found very confusing. Ginny walked behind the front desk and bent down, looking through the files.

“What are you doing?” I hissed.

“There has to be something somewhere.” She picked up a file and then put it back. I watched for several moments until, “Oooh! Found it!” Ginny pulled out a file that showed different books in stock. “I need the population census.” She murmured, placing her wand on the file. Then, a title of a book appeared. Ginny jumped up and began looking, holding the file with the title as she went. I followed as she walked down several isles.

“Wait, wait, wait!” I said, holding my arm out to stop her. “There is a much easier way to do this. Accio book!” I held up my wand and as soon as I did so, the book burst out of the shelf above us and flew down. It was really thick, like thicker than my waist. I struggled to carry it to the table Ginny and I were at before. Once I got there, I put it down and a poof of dust came out of it. I coughed and Ginny laughed, coming over and sitting beside me. “Okay.” I said nervously. “Show me Sylvia and Blaine Raise.” The book flew open and the pages flipped fast, going, going, going, until it landed on the R’s. Ginny and I glanced at each other and then I looked down at where a name was glowing in golden. It read,

Blaine Raise

Birthday: June 23rd, 1958

Spouse: Sylvia Ravenclaw (See Page 5,569)

Decedents: Persephone Mae Raise (Tate) Status: Adopted Born: February 2nd, 1979

Residence: London, England

Status: Deceased

I swallowed.

“Oh god.” Murmured Ginny. “I’m so sorry.” I shook my head.

“It’s fine Ginny.”

And it was. I didn’t really know him. Then, the pages started flipping again and landed on 5,569. I looked down at the glowing name and held my breath. One parent was fine but two… Might be unbearable. I read.

Sylvia Ravenclaw Raise

Birthday: January 15th, 1959

Spouse: Blaine Raise (See Page 5,534)

Decedents: Persephone Mae Raise (Tate) Status: Adopted Born: February 2nd, 1979

Residence: London, England

Status: Living

I let out a relieved breath. “Oh thank you.” I whispered to whoever was listening.

“She’s alive.” Ginny squeaked. I nodded and smiled.

“She is.”

“So?”

“I have to see her.”

*

I stood in Professor Dumbledore’s office, waiting for him to finish writing something. Finally, he walked over to me.

“So, Persephone, you want to meet your mother.”

I nodded. “I do, sir.”

“I can understand this, of course. But tell me, how are you planning on meeting her?”

I hesitated. “Um, I was hoping you’d tell me, sir.”

He smiled, his blue eyes twinkling behind his glasses. “I cannot allow you to leave the school.” I nodded. “However, I can write to Sylvia and ask her if she would like to visit you here.”

I frowned. “You can do that?” I asked.

“That’s one of the perks of being headmaster; I can do whatever I want.”

I laughed. I liked Dumbledore a lot. “I would appreciate it so much, Professor.”

He nodded. “I will get right on it. Now, if you’ll excuse me.” He led me out of his office but stopped me at the door. “And Persephone?” I turned. “Next time you set dungbombs off in Mr. Filch’s office, try not to get Peeves on it. He isn’t the most… Ah, trustworthy, of ghosts.” I smiled, relieved.

“Thank you, Professor Dumbledore.” And I ducked out of his office.

*

I sat in Transfiguration, not paying attention, really. Too absorbed in my thoughts. I was going to meet my mother. Probably. I was shocked when the bell rang much too early.

“Class is over?” I asked Serena, standing up and pulling my bag over my shoulder.

“Yeah, weren’t you paying attention? They’re letting us out early today because Dumbledore said it was too nice of a day not to let us go to Hogsmeade. I swear, he’s so weird.” She said as we walked out of the class. Students all around us were flipping out, marveling over the early let-out and the unusually warm day. We walked down to lunch before going to Hogsmeade. Once seated at our tables, everyone buzzing, a single brown owl swooped in through one of the windows and right in front of me, nearly knocking Ginny’s drink over.

“Geez.” Serena snapped, pulling her food out of the way. A few people looked at me since hardly anyone ever got mail during lunch. The owl dropped a folded note in my lap and then flew off back from where it came. I unrolled it and read,

Persephone,

Your mother has agreed to meet you at The Three Broomsticks today at 3:40.

Sincerely, Professor Dumbledore

I gasped and showed it to Ginny. She beamed at me and then Serena read it.

I was finally going to meet my mother.