Forever Mine Chapter 58

Rumors 

“Aresto Momento!” Wesley shouted before we could be crushed. We stopped and then fell the nearly two feet into the soft snow. I jumped up immediately, spitting out a mouthful of snow and wiping myself off. Suddenly, pieces fit together.

“You did that on purpose!” I screamed at Wesley. He was sitting up in the snow now, looking at my guiltily. “Agh!” I kicked a blob of snow at him. He easily deflected it. “And I-” More snow kicking “Completely believed it!”

“How did I know that they were up there?” Wesley cried standing and holding his arms out. “I swear I didn’t-”

“Don’t lie, Wesley.” James walked out of the entrance hall, hands in his pockets. The cut above his eye was stitched up and actually looked kind of cool. I scowled at him, though.

Wesley gaped at him. “What are you talking about?”

I ripped off Wesley’s robe and threw it at him. “I swear…” I muttered, stomping past him and out of the snow. I stopped beside the huge door and slid down on the floor, wiping the snow off my skirt.

 “What was that?” Wesley snapped. Slowly, I peeked around the corner. Wesley’s fists were clenched angrily and he was glaring at James.

“All is fair in love and war.” James was saying.

“We had a deal.”

“Eh. Not really. You agreed to help me get her away from Weasley. And very nice job, by the way. I never said anything about who gets her after.”

Who gets me? As if I was just a prize to be won. Or a toy that the boys were fighting over. “Excuse me?” I shot up and stood in the doorway. “’Who gets me’? I don’t think so.” I shuddered. “Neither of you will ever ‘get me’. ”

“Seph-”

I turned and marched up the staircase, tracks of snow trailing behind me.

*

Ginny wasn’t in the dormitory. And that was a lucky thing because I probably would’ve screamed at her and lost yet another friend. Angry and annoyed, I collapsed onto my bed. I was nearly drifting to sleep when there was another tap on the window.

“What now?” I cried, standing up and pushing over the window. I hadn’t even seen the boy hovering there in the air on a broom, of course. I jumped and he smiled.

“Sorry!” Wesley whispered. “Didn’t mean to frighten you.”

I began to shut the window in his face but before I knew it, he was flying in. I stumbled back and watched him with wide eyes. “What the bloody hell do you think you’re doing? I don’t want you here, Wesley!”

He wasn’t listening. Instead, he leaned his broom against the wall and looked around. “So, this is your room. Very nice.”

“Enjoy it while you can. You aren’t staying.” I picked up the broom and threw it at him. “Get lost, Wesley.”

He just sat it down next to him. “I’m breaking about eighteen rules just by being here. Just hear me out- Oh! It’s a Pheonix!” He blinked at Oasis, who I supposed Ginny had sat on the perch that usually held Tinker.

I tried to avoid his eyes. No one could say no to those eyes. “Fine. You have one minute.” I sat on my bed again.

“James lied. I didn’t know that they were going to be there and I’m sorry. But I wasn’t lying. I really do love you. I don’t expect you to do anything about it because I know you don’t feel the same way. And that’s okay. You and Fred were together for a really, really long time. I can wait for you. I’d wait for you forever.” I became very interested in the pattern of my comforter. He grabbed his broom again. “I think my minute is up. I’ll go now. Just remember that I’m here if you ever want to talk.”

“Wesley.” He stopped. I looked up at him with eyes full of tears. “I miss him so much.” I covered my face with my hands and sobbed. I half expected Wesley to leave, because his ‘here if you ever want to talk’ thing didn’t extend to crying over ex-boyfriends. But then, my mattress shifted and a strong arm wrapped around my shoulders and Wesley pulled me close to his warm body as I shook with sobs. And he stroked my hair and rocked me gently. It reminded me of the night when I found out I was adopted. I felt a sudden pang of longing. Longing for how things used to be. For Fred.

I cried myself to sleep, safe in Wesley’s arms.

*

*Ginny’s P.O.V.*

I headed up to the dormitory, exhausted from Quidditch practice. And snogging Michael. And running after Fred and George to show them that letter. It was nearly one o’clock. There were still several people in the common room, though since it was a Friday night. Yawning and stretching I opened the door. Then gasped and shut it again. Then, not believing my eyes slowly opened it once more. Seph was curled up on her bed, in Wesley Boot’s arms. They were both fast asleep. I cocked my head and again, shut the door. Blinking quizzically and wondering how Wesley even got in the dorm. I jogged downstairs and looked around. Serena was at a table in the corner, books spread out in front of her. I hurried over. “Wesley and Seph were in bed together!”

Her head shot up. “What?”

“I don’t know! I went upstairs to go to bed and there they were! I don’t want to wake them. Could I sleep in your room tonight?”

“Yeah, yeah sure.” She stood up. “I’ll be back.”

*

*Serena’s P.O.V.*

Ginny lost me after “Wesley and Seph were in bed together.”

What? No way. Seph wasn’t that kind of girl. Was she? Then again, I didn’t really know Seph anymore.

“Could I sleep in your room tonight?”

Oh, shoot. Ginny was talking. “Yeah, yeah sure.” I said, standing up. “I’ll be back.” I left.

*

*Seph’s P.O.V.*

My eyes opened slowly and I realized that Wesley was still in my room. I elbowed him. “Wesley!”

“Hm?”

“We fell asleep.” Ginny’s bed was the same, perfectly made. Like she hadn’t slept in it. Wesley jumped up and I followed.

“Oh! What time is it?”

I grabbed Ginny’s watch off her nightstand. “Eight.”

“Good.” He went to the door. “Everyone’s at breakfast. I’ll see you, Seph.”

“Right. See you.”

Wesley walked out of my room and I sighed. My stomach growled suddenly but I took a shower before hurrying down to the Great Hall, half starved. As soon as I entered, a hush fell over the Hall. Everyone stared at me. Then, a fifth year Slytherin boy came up and gave me a smile.

“Never knew you had it in you, Tate.”

I blinked at him. “What are you talking about?”

“Don’t be stupid, Seph.” James was leaning against the wall beside me. “We all heard.”

“Heard what?” I whispered, still very aware of everyone’s eyes on me. I saw Fred. His eyes were trained on me until he saw me looking at him. Then he looked away.

“You slept with Wesley Boot, of course.”