Forever Mine Chapter 64

The Power of Speech

“Serena’s looking at you.”

“I’m sorry, Ginny. You must’ve mistaken me for someone who cares.” I mumbled as I looked over my charms homework, breathing in the smell of bacon and eggs as we sat at the Gryffindor table in the Great Hall. She glared at me. “Sorry.” I sighed. “I stayed up all night finishing this and thinking about… that… and I’m tired and irritable.”

She sighed, twirling her fork between two fingers. “It’s alright. I guessed you’d be in a bad mood today.”

I glanced at her but ignored the comment. Then someone tapped me on the shoulder. I glanced up to see Professor McGonagall looking down at me over her spectacles. In her hand was a list of names. “Miss Tate, you are aware of the project Professor Dumbledore has all seventh years do for Transfiguration, correct?”

I swallowed my pumpkin juice and nodded.

“Well everyone has a partner and I’m assigning them now. Yours will be…” She sighed, looking over her list, “George Weasley.”

I laughed at her face. “Not your best choice, eh Professor?”

“I do not choose the partners, dear. Professor Dumbledore does. If it was me, you wouldn’t like your partner one bit, I can tell you that.” And she stalked off to tell more students their partner names. George caught my eye and winked and I smiled, noticing a certain blonde-haired girl giving me a look that could kill out of the corner of my eye.

*

“I thought it was quite funny, you know.” George said as he took his place on the floor below where I was seated on the big plush couch.

“What?” I asked, flipping through the larger numbered pages of my Transfiguration book, getting deeper into the complex pages of the book.

“You giving Serena a broken nose.” He laughed. “I came downstairs and there was blood all over the couch. Fred hadn’t had the sense to take her to the hospital wing and she was all dizzy. I only saw the last part of what happened. Fred filled me in on the… the rest.”  He saw my darkened look and shut up, quickly changing the subject to something that my head wouldn’t explode over. “So, what do we have to do?”

I shrugged. “I dunno. Something something and blah blah blah.”

“Oh. That explains it really well.”

“I know. I have a natural gift for explaining things, you know.”

“I can tell.”

See, these were the things I missed. I missed having normal conversations like this with George.

Stop it, Seph. That’s the whiny version of you talking. The old Seph was back. Seph 1.0, if you will. The fun Seph that seemed to have crawled into a hole and hibernated for a while. So I missed them? Good for me. This was my chance to not have to miss them anymore.

“So,” I pulled out a slip of paper that McGonagall handed out to all the seventh years. It was a list of instructions on what all of this was about. “I suppose we should read this.”

George nodded and slumped against the couch, ready to enter a world of boredom.

“Alright… Uh… ‘In this section of your-’ you know, Georgie, I’m not in a homework-y mood.”

“Oh yeah, Seph?”

“Yeah. You know what I think we should do instead?”

“What’s that?” He perked up, turning so he was facing me, on his knees with his elbows propped up against the cushion.