Forever Mine Chapter 54

George twirled his wand. “Expecto Patronum!” But only a poof of silver escaped from his wand.

“You aren’t thinking hard enough, George.” I said as I held out my own wand, trying hard to pick a happy memory. There were many, of course. But singling one out was difficult.

“If I think any harder my brain will explode.” He growled through clenched teeth. Fred, having produced his own meerkat moments before, stood aside, a smirk on his face. Serena’s own butterfly was flitting around her curly head, her bright blue eyes shining as others watched it jealously as they failed in producing their own Patronus. Finally, George gave up.

“You try it!” He cried, frustrated. I rolled my eyes and cracked my knuckles, a bad habit that Serena said I needed to stop but of course, I didn’t listen.

“Fine.” I said, flipping my wand in between my fingers. It hadn’t failed me before. It shouldn’t now. I thought, flipping through every happy memory that I could think of. I thought of these;

Meeting Fred and George.

No, that wasn’t good enough.

My first kiss with Fred.

Still…

I was sure I found it; when Fred proposed. I mean, it was so obvious I couldn’t believe I hadn’t thought of it.  “Expecto Patronum!” When it erupted from my wand first I wasn’t sure what it was and cocked my head as the silver being soared out of my wand with a huge whoosh. A few people gasped and the twins “Oohed” amazedly. Even Danni, who was having troubles producing her own Patronus stopped and stared as the Phoenix swooped around the room, nearly knocking over Ernie MacMillan.

“Phoenix? But I thought Dumbledore was the only one who could produce one of those.” Ron whispered loudly, which rather defeated the point of whispering if you ask me.

“He was!” Hermione said. “Only really powerful sorcerers can produce a Phoenix.”

“Oooh, Seph you’re a really powerful sorcerer!” Serena cried.

Fred and George fell to their knees and bowed sarcastically. “We praise you, o’ powerful one!” George yelled. A few people giggled.

“This is really serious! She needs to go see Professor Dumbledore!”

“But then he’d know about the organization.”

“Not necessarily.” Another voice said.

“Who cares if she produced a powerful Patronus? It’s not like it’s a bad thing.” Danni was saying. By now my Phoenix had burnt out but people were still watching me expectantly. Like I was going to burst into a Phoenix myself. But people kept talking. Fred and George were glancing around, eyebrows raised and I sighed.

“Who really does care?” I asked.

“That’s really cool, though, Seph.” George mused.

“Yeah. Do you think you can raise the dead?” Fred asked.

“Teach us! Please!”

I laughed but it was interrupted by someone crying “Expecto Patronum!” Everyone went silent and looked to Danni, who was holding her wand with both hands, eyes wide, as silver slowly grew and grew out of her wand. And then a huge roar filled the room. A first year screamed as a dragon, probably ten feet high formed from Danni’s spell. I gasped and stumbled back. There was a huge smirk plastered on her face now as her dragon took to the air, causing several students to scream and jump aside. I could tell, she was glad to surpass me in something. A Phoenix was powerful but a dragon? That was a sign of a very, very, very, excellent wizard. Possibly the best.

“Stop!” Hermione screamed. Danni’s wand fell, the smirk wiped from her face.

“That was so bloody cool.” I muttered, despite the sudden tension. Then I noticed how pale Hermione’s face was.

“I think you two had better go see Dumbledore. Now.”

“Why?” Danni asked stubbornly.

“Danni, maybe you should.” Wesley muttered. She glared at him.

“You can’t tell me what to do, Wesley.”

I suddenly realized that I didn’t know if she and Wesley were still together. Hermione looked at me with pleading eyes as everyone started tittering excitedly. She waved me over and walked a little to this side of the room. “I don’t think anyone knows.” She said as I came up beside her.

“Knows what?”

“The dragon. It’s the sign of a dark wizard, Persephone. Terribly dark.”

I shook my head. “That’s impossible.” I whispered. “Danni isn’t a bad person. She isn’t in Slytherin either.”

“Maybe not. But it’s a sure sign. I’m afraid… She’ll turn dark, even if she can’t help it.”

I shook Hermione off. “No, I won’t let her.” Maybe Hermione was smart but really, what did that matter? She obviously didn’t know Danni. Yes, she was sarcastic and rude but a dark wizard? Never.

“You can’t help it. She needs to go to Dumbledore. He needs to deal with this.”

I blinked at her and looked up at Danni, who was watching Hermione and me with suspicious eyes. “Danni. Come on.” I held out my hand to her.

“Why?” She snapped, glaring at my hand, annoyed.

“Just come on.”

“I don’t want to.”

“You don’t have a choice. I’m not being your sister right now. I’m being your Head Girl.”

“You aren’t my real sister anyways.” She muttered.