Forever Mine, Rewritten: Chapter 4

Druscilla wondered at the Ravenclaw common room, rushing about the vast circular space examining and touching every little thing. She ran her slender fingers along the spines of the books which lined the walls of a sunken mini-library niche as I peered out of the floor-to-ceiling arched windows, which at the moment showed only darkness. Further inspection revealed a blanket of stars stretching over the hidden landscape. Overstuffed blue and silver chairs and couches created cozy nooks around the room, and sturdy tables sat piled with books, papers, and miscellaneous bits and bobs.

Flitwick and Dru chattered on as the latter explored every cranny of the common room, and I eventually turned from the window and sunk onto the midnight blue divan. I then noticed the ceiling masquerading as the glittering night sky above and was occupied identifying various constellations when Dru's voice snatched my attention.

"- so bizarre, Seph, isn't it so bizarre?"

I dropped my chin and blinked at my sister, who was standing beside Professor Flitwick in front of a towering marble woman. The statue looked both pissed off and proud, straight nose raised and large, down-turned eyes endlessly staring, and long curly tendrils rested upon her marble chest. A delicate tiara was woven into her hair.

"Hmm?" Responded I, smartly, but I knew of what she spoke as soon as I saw the marble lady.

"Doesn't she look a bit like Mother?" she laughed after she said it, and then dismissively strode past the statue to peer up the staircases which lay beyond. I stood and shuffled toward the statue myself, noting Professor Flitwick's silence as he watched me carefully. I stood and took in the woman's features, recognizing a few similarities, although none convinced me quite like the wide, curious, angry eyes.

"Rowena Ravenclaw, as I'm sure you assumed," came Flitwick's voice finally and gently, as if to be sure not to startle me. I blinked heavily at my preserved patroness, and then at Flitwick, who was peering up at me with intense curiosity. I furrowed my brow at him, and he leaned back on his heels and lightened his expression as if realizing my own wonder.

"What a looker," I spat out awkwardly, and dashed after my sister.

--

Flitwick then escorted us to the Great Hall; I swear the route down was significantly shorter than our previous trek and made sure to mentally heed notable location markers. As we approached the colossal wooden double doors, Flitwick explained the Great Hall and its many purposes, and at which table we would be sat.

"Ladies," he eventually concluded, "this is where I leave you. It has been a great pleasure to welcome you to Hogwarts and Ravenclaw house! What an excellent contribution the two of you shall be. Most momentous indeed," and then, before either of us could respond, "I shall see you both in Charms class! Please do visit if you have any questions." And then he waved his hand and the great door cracked open the tiniest bit, and he slipped inside.

When the door came open, the roar of hundreds of voices erupted from within, and Dru scrunched her nose as if smelling something rancid. I scoffed a laugh at her expression, which softened into a smile.

"Just where do you suppose we're supposed to visit?" She asked, and I rolled my eyes and placed a hand on her shoulder.

"Oh, Druscilla, how utterly dependent of you to ask!"

--

The Ravenclaws sat third to the right in the row of four great tables, which were each lined with extensive backless benches full of countless chattering students. Luckily, all of the noise of talking and eating created the perfect cover for Druscilla and me to sneak into the Great Hall unnoticed. We found seats at the very end of the table, where a few students sat spread out and then scooted to make room. The three nearest to us, a blonde-haired boy and girl and a round-faced brunette, greeted us upon arrival but considerately waited to make conversation until Dru and I had eaten most of our dinners. The two blondes introduced themselves as seventh-years James McLane and Serena Knight and the other quietly offered that she was sixth-year Poppy Blanche.

"So," gushed Serena, who was almost too beautiful, "where are you from?" She swished her shiny hair over a shoulder and a blast of geranium overwhelmed my senses. She was very pretty. I ogled, because Dru again stabbed me with her bony elbow, and then responded.

"Originally Salcombe, but we spent the last six years in Uganda for our mum's job," Dru patted her mouth with the silver cloth napkin which was stowed in her lap. I stopped looking at Serena and instead stared at the golden plate before me. Bits of Shepard's pie and roasted potatoes littered the plate. I blinked, and suddenly they were gone.

"Uganda!" Exclaimed James; he seemed boisterous and had a muscular swimmer-type body and a permanently sly smirk. His skin was sun-kissed like he'd spent the entire summer lounging on a beach. "You two must be years ahead of us!"

"I don't think that's true," responded Druscilla modestly, although we both knew that Uagadou's intensive curriculum produced highly advanced students with incredible capabilities.

"Come on," urged James, and Serena nodded earnestly, supporting whatever he was about to say, "what's the most advanced magic you can do?"

His blue-green eyes shone in the dancing candlelight and, although he was speaking to Dru, they were fixed upon me. I stared back with raised eyebrows, like 'yeah?? What?' but didn't appease him with an answer. Instead, I scooped a glob of chocolate custard onto my newly empty plate. A bit spattered upon the blue table runner, then immediately absorbed and disappeared.

"Well," Dru began cautiously, pursing her lips quizzically, "I'm quite good with potions, but Seph is a fully-formed-" I kicked her under the table at an awkward sideways angle, and she cast me a scowl before continuing "- animagus."

"An animagus! You're joking! We don't even learn self-Transfiguration until year six!" cried Serena, and she reached across the table and clasped my hand. My head went completely foggy, all I could focus on was how soft she felt. Then Poppy, who was sat beside Serena, unceremoniously stood and reached across the table to grab a plate of rolls, breaking Serena's grip and clearing the clouds from my mind.

"Anyway," said she pointedly, and James snickered before piling a fork full into his mouth, "that's very interesting, Seph. You must be quite a powerful witch." She noisily sat the plate on the table directly between Serena and me without taking a roll for herself.

"Uh," I responded, turning my attention toward Poppy, "that's exaggerating it a bit, I think."

She smiled at me, and her close-set brown eyes crinkled in the corners. Her round cheeks were spattered with dark freckles and her hair was back in a high ponytail. She radiated warmth. "For some reason, I doubt it."

Normally I would have rolled my eyes, but something about Poppy was so instantly likable, and so I just smiled back, thanked her, and continued eating my custard. The animagus conversation continued without contribution from myself or Poppy; James and Serena seemed to feed off each other's chaotic energy and Dru was simply delighted to be included by such beautiful new people. Eventually, I asked where the nearest toilets were located and wandered out of the Great Hall on my own. I followed Poppy's directions for a few minutes but, for the most part, was eager to be away from the ruckus of the Hall for as long as possible. Not being much of a talker, the energy of the room was quickly exhausting me. I like to rejuvenate in silence.