17. spirit in the night

Tree Hill, 2003

 Tree Hill, 2003

The cheerleading squad was rehearsing in the courtyard for the tournament they would have at the weekend. The girls were all in position when Brooke went to check, asking Theresa to fix her posture, that Bevin needed fresh mint, she passed Emma and just nodded, and went to Peyton praising and took the opportunity to pin Peyton, and then passed other girls saying they were wrong.

"Guys, this weekend is The Classic, it's our biggest cheer competition. Aren't you sick of Claire Young and the Bear Creek Warriors taking home the thropy every year? Because I am." Brooke explained. "We need to get it together here and I'm not just talking about our routine. I'm talking hair, nails." Brooke looked in Theresa's direction. "Underarms, Theresa."

"Brooke, cheerleading is supposed to be fun." Bevin said.

"Yeah? Well, winning's funner. And if you don't like it, you can go cheer for the wrestling team." Brooke smiled at Bevin. "Take five."

Emma saw Peyton go up to Brooke and heard Peyton asking Brooke not to take all her anger at Peyton out on the team. She even giggled when Brooke said that not everything was about Peyton.

"Break's over, guys." Brooke shouted for everyone to hear.

[....]

Ethan was walking toward Coach Whitey's office when he saw Nathan heading in the same direction.

"Huh, I wonder what we did." Ethan said, poking Nathan.

"You too?" Nathan asked and Ethan nodded.

The two boys knocked on Whitey's open door, surprised that Lucas was there too.

"Wanted to see us, Coach?" Nathan asked.

"I did." Coach Whitey gestured for the boys to come in.

"With Lucas on the injured list, you're gonna see a lot more double-teams. Now, Lucas is damn good at creating space for open shots. I want you three to work together." Coach Whitey explained.

Coach Whitey's words were not well received by Ethan, who had an angry face. Ethan always created space for open shots, and he was excellent at it. In fact, he and Nathan were an incredible duo on the court. With just a glance, Nathan could understand the crazy ideas Ethan came up with on the court. Nathan had glanced at Ethan.

"Ethan has always done that, Coach. In fact, Ethan and I have always been almost unbeatable on the court. Ethan can create plays during the game and let me know with just nods or glances." Nathan said and then looked at Lucas.

"And there's nothing he can teach me about my game or anything else." Nathan continued.

"He can teach you to listen when I tell you to do something. I do start now, if I were you." Coach Whitey said to the boys.

Lucas and Nathan left the coach's room and Ethan remained standing.

"Is there something you need to tell me, Ethan?" Coach Whitey said as he sat down.