12. crash course in polite conversation

Tree Hill, 2003

Tree Hill, 2003

Peyton and Emma were in Peyton's room on a video call with Larry Sawyer.

"Hi, Dad." The girls spoke together.

"Hello, sweethearts." The girls approached Peyton's computer.

"What's with the Unabomber look?" Peyton asked.

"I like it, Dad." Emma did not agree and stuck out her tongue at her sister.

"I was going for the George Clooney look." Larry said.

Larry explained to the girls that when he's working, he lets his beard and hair grow, and when he's ready to go home, he trims it. The girls were chatting with Larry as he said hello to Ethan, Lucas, and Brooke and joked that none of them had learned how to use the doorbell. Emma and Peyton had decided to do a surprise for Larry's return and asked their friends for help. The girls said goodbye to Larry before Brooke could tell Larry and ruin the surprise.

Emma and Peyton led their friends to Larry's car. It was covered with a tarp. When the girls removed it, Lucas and Ethan were fascinated by the car. The girls explained their idea to their friends and hoped that Lucas and Ethan would be able to make the car work as the girls left the car shiny and new.

Lucas and Ethan looked around for what might be wrong.

"Well, it's not the battery." Said Ethan.

"Probably the starter then." Luke's guess.

Peyton had gone out to check on a couple of things, and when she came back, Peyton's happy face had changed.

"Emm's, I'm worried about dad." Peyton hugged her sister who asked her to explain. Ethan, Lucas, and Brooke followed the girls into Peyton's room.

"I just did an online check, and now they say it's a category three hurricane." Peyton said.

"Shit!" Emma grumbled and Ethan grabbed the hand of the girl.

"Peyton, did you check his webcam?" Ethan asked. Peyton nodded and explained that it was off.

Emma and Peyton's minds were going to a dark place, full of misery and negative thoughts, even though they tried to imagine that Larry was safe, it was as if their minds immediately thought that nothing good could happen, and that everything was going so well that it was obvious that something would go wrong. Emma went to hug her sister while Brooke; Luke and Ethan tried to reassure the sisters that nothing had happened and that they should think positively.