0. before

BEFORE

BEFORE

Tree Hill, 2003.

Ethan liked to play basketball with his cousin Lucas in River Court, and the rest of the crew. When he and Lucas were little, they played in the little league with Nathan. Lucas stopped after he find out the truth about his father, Ethan continued until the start of high school. Ethan had this fear of not being good enough. Which was a stupid fear, in Whitey opinion. The boy was an extraordinary player. So, when Ethan was called to Whitey's office, the boy begged in his mind that the conversation wasn't about basketball. Ethan feared his father wasn't going to be happy about him playing for the Ravens and having to see Dan Scott.

As Ethan entered Whitey's office, he was cautious, and Whitey had that serious face.

"What do I have pleasured to be called in here, Sir?" Whitey made a gesture to the boy sit down.

"How do you feel about playing for real, and not only in the River Court?" Ethan left a murmured fuck and took a deep breath.

"Not good, if I am being honest. Coach, I don't..." The boy trailed off, and Whitey did have a notion of where his mind went. Not knowing if his father would like, if Nathan Scott would let him in peace, if he would have the support of Keith, since Dan Scott was in every single game in the crowd.

Whitey took off his cap, rubbing his hand in his bald head. A habit when he was stressed out. Letting out a loud breath.

"I have an open spot, if you want it's yours. You think about, and tell until tomorrow, Scott."

[....]

When Ethan entered in the Keith Scott Body Shop, he saw his father working in some car. The boy approached his father careful, not knowing the words. Ethan wasn't a shy guy; he didn't fear his father. Keith saw his son close, and too quiet.

"You're too quiet. Should I be worried?" Keith said smiling and letting a laugh out. Ethan smiled to his dad.

"I don't know. You be the judge. So, a weird thing happened today." Keith hummed, asking the boy some tool, waiting for Ethan elaborate.

"Whitey offered me a spot on the team." Ethan said a little hushed, Keith stopped working on the car. "I didn't accept. Not yet at least."

"Why not, son?" Keith asked looking at Ethan, seeing the boy confused.

"I don't know. Didn't know if you would be cool with. Don't know if Nathan and Dan would not bother us because of that." Ethan told some of the reasons, but what he really wants to say was 'don't know if I am good enough, or if I would just embarrass myself in front of this hole shit town obsessed with basketball.'