1. the desperate kingdom of love

Charleston

Charleston

(based on season 2)

Ethan and Keith were on a beach in Charleston going after Luke, who had told themwere he was of in his call. Ethan spotted Luke and nudged his father to point in the boy's direction as they walked towards Luke.

"Holy cow!" Ketih said looking at Luke's figure.

Ethan and Keith laughed.

"What happened to your head?" Ketih asked Lucas.

Lucas had shaved off all his hair, and the boy smiled at the man's question, running his hand over his head and said.

"I figured new town, new look." Lucas said.

"You know, Skills would probably say that you don't look good in his look." Ethan said, making Lucas laugh.

"Okay, whatever you say, felicity." Keith said. "At least the town looks nice."

Ethan ended up snorting, still struggling to accept his new reality. A reality without being able to be with or see Emma at any time, or to go to Karen's café in the middle of the day. 

"Yeah, it does." Lucas said. "I think we're gonna like it here." Lucas said and saw the look of annoyance and sadness on his cousin's face.

"Say it for yourselves." Ethan muttered.

"Ethan, we're on a beach. Go swimming, make friends or talk to girls. But give the city a chance." Keith said, slipping his arm around his son's shoulders and pulling him close.

"No, no and no. I already have a girl, Dad. And it's the sight of her in a bikini that I'd like to see right now." Ethan says.

Lucas put his hand to his face to stop himself from laughing in front of Keith at the way Ethan had ended up talking. Keith sighed, knowing how sad the boy was about leaving Emma behind.

"You didn't say 'no' about giving the city a chance." Keith nudged his son.

It wasn't about Ethan giving a chance for the city. For Ethan, standing by his father even though he wanted to stay in Tree Hill was about loyalty, about love. He just needed some time to better mask his discontent for the sake of his father's happiness.

[....]

Tree Hill

Emma was lying on the bed in her sister's room, listening to Yellowcard's Empty Apartment while Peyton pasted a drawing of Jake and Jenny on the wall. When Brooke walked into Peyton's room saying hello.