12. the hero dies in this one

Tree Hill

Tree Hill

(based on season 2)

Life in Tree Hill never seemed to be calm or peaceful, there was always something going on. Keith had asked Ethan's 'permission' to propose to Jules, Ethan could never go against his father's happiness. Lucas seemed to be hiding something from Ethan, even avoiding him. Brooke was running for student president, and Ethan had already said at least twenty times that he would vote for Brooke. Peyton said it was official, Michelle Branch and Jessica Harp were playing at Tric tomorrow night. Nathan was having marriage problems with Haley. And Ethan.... well, Ethan seemed to be frozen in time.

Ethan noticed how Peyton seemed to be happier and more focused on the things she liked to do with Jake back. Brooke was exploring new things, and Felix seemed to be treating the girl well, since they were now officially boyfriend and girlfriend. Ethan had already had a 'talk' with Felix, saying that Felix if he dare to hurt Brooke, he would hurt him even more.

Ethan left Karen's café when he saw the caller ID, 'Pompoms'. Ethan answered and the first thing he heard was.

"Hi, pretty boy." Emma's voice sounded tired but calm.

Ethan seemed to appreciate Emma's voice, closing his eyes and listening to the girl's voice like an echo in his mind. Ethan remembered to answer when Emma called him again.

"I miss you, Ethan." Emma said.

Ethan wished he had said it first, but he didn't want to sound cruel or make the girl feel guilty for being away. But a part of Ethan was relieved that Emma missed him as much as he missed her.

"I miss you too, Emm's."

Ethan's voice was hoarse, and he spoke quietly as if the two of them were confessing secrets.

"Are you going to Michelle Branch and Jessica Harp's concert tomorrow?" Emma asked.

Ethan frowned, wondering how Emma knew that. But he imagined that Peyton must have told the girl.

"Maybe, I don't know if I'm in the mood." Ethan said.

"Well, go. I've got a surprise that's going to be there for you." Emma said with a smile, and Ethan knew the girl was smiling when she said it.

"May I ask what it is? Who's going to give me this surprise? Where should I look?" Ethan asked, but heard Emma laugh on the other end of the line saying that he would know what it was when he saw it, and that he would like it.