11. the living years

Tree Hill, 2003

Tree Hill, 2003

Before going to school, Lucas and Ethan decided to stop by the Sawyer girls' house. Lucas had gone with his car, and Ethan with his motorcycle. When the two boys arrived at the door of the house, they noticed that it was half open and making strange noises. The boys called out for Peyton and Emma, but there was no answer. Lucas took a rake from outside and went in front.

The boys heard movement coming from the kitchen and when they arrived, they saw a man moving things around. Lucas caught the man's eye.

"Where's Emma and Peyton?" Ethan asked when the man looked at them.

"Dressing for school's my guess." The man told them calmly.

"Who are you?" Ethan and Lucas asked together.

"I'm the guy who is about to take that rake from you and beat your two scrawny asses." The man said.

"I'm their dad. Who are you two?"

This was not Ethan's idea of an introduction to Emma's father. Suspicious and about to attack the man, he stood next to Lucas, who was holding a rake. Ethan wished that he could be an ostrich and bury his head in the ground.

Lucas apologized to the man and introduced himself. He said the door was open and he was afraid for the girls.

""I'm Ethan, a friend of Emma's. I'm sorry, sir. The girls never seem to remember to lock the door, and they never answer the bell, and we were worried that something might have happened to them." Ethan told the man.

"Larry Sawyer, boys." The man offered his hand for the boys to shake.

"Hey dad, do you know where my...." Peyton stopped. "What are you doing here?" Peyton asked Lucas.

"Oh, they are trying to rake me to death." Larry told.

Peyton looked at Lucas' hand holding a rake. Ethan had his hands behind his back, looking down at his feet in embarrassment. Peyton laughed, then looked at Ethan.

"Emma will have a field day with this one, Ethan." Peyton laughed. "She's looking for a book in her room, you can go there."

Ethan ran a hand through his hair and looked at the girls' father. Ethan had no idea if the man was okay with a boy being in his daughter's room. But Emma was already calling for Peyton to finish getting ready, so Ethan didn't have to die of embarrassment.