15. suddenly everything has changed

Tree Hill, 2003

 Tree Hill, 2003

Emma was dragged into the mall by Haley and Emma, the girl's cell phone had gone dead and the other two girls kept teasing Emma for being anxious because, according to her, 'Ethan might need her help, or something important might happen' and she wouldn't be communicable. Which only made Haley and Peyton make fun of the girl a little more.

Emma was surprised that Brooke wasn't there, since the mall is the girl's playground. But Lucas Scott had woken up and was already home, Peyton had warned her that Brooke would probably be stuck to him like a stick of gum.

The three girls were walking through the mall while talking when Brooke's voice interrupted them. The three went over to the bench where Brooke was sitting.

"I looked all over for you two. You guys didn't get my message?" Brooke questioned Emma and Peyton.

"No, Brooke. Sorry." Emma pulled her cell phone out of her bag, showing that it was dead. "I forgot to charge it."

"Really? Oh, my phone's been whacked out, all day." Peyton explained, Emma looked at her sister knowing the information for the first time.

"Hey, B. Davis. What happened?" Emma asked, sitting down next to the girl.

Brooke shook her head negatively, with tears in her eyes.

"I said I wasn't gonna do this and I said it wasn't worth it, but it is." Brooke's voice began to break. Emma hugged Brooke, smoothing the girl's hair. "Lucas broke up with me." Brooke said.

"I'm sorry." Peyton said.

"I was looking forward to getting a chance to show him how much he means to me." Brooke explained.

"It's his loss, Brooke." Emma said, using her hand to gently wipe away Brooke's tears.

"He said he just wants to be friends." Brooke continued. "And every idiot knows that, that's just code for go away. I don't know what I'm supposed to do."

"If Luke said he wants to be friends, I'm sure he means it." Peyton said.

"How do you do that with Lucas?" Brooke asked, looking at Peyton and Haley in front of her and then at Emma.

"Haley." Emma looked in the girl's direction. If anyone could perhaps give Brooke a tip, it would be her now ex-boyfriend's best friend.

Haley looked at Emma, then at Peyton, who seemed to be pleading for help with her eyes, and then at Brooke.

"You just, uh, just sort of do everything that you've been doing, without the sex part." Haley said, and Emma tilted her head sideways, looking at the girl.

"There's a first time for everything, right?" Brooke asked.

Emma hugged her friend tighter, kissing the top of her head.