16. the first cut is the deepest

Tree Hill, 2003

 Tree Hill, 2003

The day wasn't the best for Emma, she was in the middle of Peyton and Brooke's fight. Jake had asked Peyton to look after Jenny, Nathan showed up with a new car. When cheer practice was over, Brooke took off running and not only Peyton but also Emma ran after the girl.

"Brooke, sooner or later you're gonna have to talk to me." Peyton said, approaching Brooke.

"Why don't I just smile at you, you know, Peyton-style. Pretend everything is okay and lie to your face." Brooke said with a fake smile on her face.

"If I could go back to the way things were, I would." Peyton said.

"Back to when my best friend was cheating with my boyfriend and I was too stupid to realize it?" Brooked questioned.

"You're not stupid." Peyton had said and Emma had muttered.

Emma hoped that the argument would end soon so she could talk to Brooke, the girl couldn't bear to see the two of them hurt. Brooke asked if Peyton had had sex with Lucas, Peyton denied it and tried to explain herself. But when Brooke asked if Peyton was in love with Lucas, Peyton's silence spoke louder. Emma let Brooke get a little further away, and went over to the girl, managing to get her to stop before Brooke got into her own car.

"Brooke!" Brooke looked at Emma and sighed. "Am I on your blacklist too, B. Davis?" Emma asked quietly, picking at her nails.

"No. Emm's, I'm not mad at you, I just..." Brooke stopped talking without knowing how to explain.

"So that's it? You stop being friends with Peyton, and discard me?" Emma tilted her head to the side. Brooke opened her mouth to try to explain, but Emma was already walking away from Brooke.

[....]

Ethan and Emma were sitting on the bridge drinking milkshakes, when Ethan saw Emma dip one of her fries in the milkshake and eat it.

"Emm's, what the hell are you doing?" Ethan questioned.

"French fries with milkshake." Emma dipped a fry into the milkshake again and offered it.

"Ew, hell no." Ethan shook his head negatively.

"Try it, E." Emma continued with the fries stretched out to Ethan.

"No, that's completely absurd and I refuse to do anything weird like that." Ethan laughed at the girl stuffing the potato in her mouth and eating it.

"Your loss." Emma shook her shoulders.

"So...." Emma looked at the boy. "I think my dad's going to sell the body shop to Dan." Ethan said too quickly and almost slurred his words.

"What? Why?" Emma asked frightened.

"Money." Ethan took a deep breath. "The hospital bill wasn't cheap, and he picked up Luke's costs as well. And it seems that Dan was the only one who offered that help." Ethan explained.

"And what is Keith going to do?" Emma asked.

"He doesn't know. He asked me, and I said that he knows Dan better, he is going to know if the offer is legitimate or not. Apparently, there's nothing wrong with Dan's offer, but who knows, it's Dan." Ethan recounted.

"I hope everything works out for your father, Ethan." Emma patted Ethan's shoulder.

"Me too, Pompons." Ethan took Emma's hand.

"And how's the whole situation with Brooke and Peyton?" Ethan asked and saw Emma snort.

"Apparently, Brooke has put me on her blacklist." Emma snorted.

"Why?" Ethan hadn't let go of the girl's hand.

"I don't know, but she was ignoring me too, and I even tried to talk to her, but... Apparently, I'm disposable." Emma said mumbling the words.

Ethan slipped one of his arms around Emma's shoulders and pulled her closer.

"No, you're not disposable, Emma." Ethan whispered, kissing the top of the girl's head.

"I can imagine how hard the whole Peyton and Luke situation must be for her, but I didn't know anything. And it's not like I'm going to force her to live with Peyton, or be friends again." Emma explained. "Brooke didn't have to cut me out of her life like that." Emma whispered.

"Give her a break, Pompons." Ethan said.

Emma turned her face to Ethan, smiled and asked him. "Can I hit Luke for hurting Brooke?" Ethan laughed.

"Go ahead, Pompons."

Ethan held Emma's face with his free hand and leaned his forehead against hers, closing his eyes, Emma did the same. Emma felt her heart beating fast, Ethan's perfume making her addicted, then Ethan kissed her and nothing else seemed to matter.

Ethan loved spending time with Emma, and he couldn't deny that kissing her was incredible. Ethan didn't know if it was healthy or not, but he wanted to be in the girl's presence at all times, he thought about her constantly, and when he was away from her, he missed her. Was it normal to feel this way about someone? If it wasn't, Ethan didn't want to know.

[....]

The following night Ethan saw Lucas's car pass him, Ethan thought it was strange since they were on the street outside Brooke's house. Ethan parked his bike and then knocked on the door, hoping that Brooke would answer.

As soon as Brooke opened the door, she saw Ethan standing there. Brooke thought it was Luke bothering her again and was almost rude to the boy.

"Ethan, what- how did you..." Brooke didn't even know how to continue with the questions.

"I passed your street once with Emma, and she said you were the girl from the house with the red door. I'm not crazy, don't worry." Ethan smiled at Brooke.

"Your cousin just left here." Brooke said grumbling.

"Which one?" Ethan asked, which made Brooke smile.

"Lucas." Brooke said and Ethan nodded. "May I ask why you're here? If it's to explain or speak in favor of your cousin, don't even try." Brooke said.

"I wouldn't dare, Brooke." Ethan spoke up. "I don't defend what he did, and it's not because of Luke." Ethan explained.

"Emma." Brooke whispered.

"She didn't know, Brooke. We didn't know anything about what was going on." Ethan explained to Brooke.

"I know." Brooke murmured.

"Don't break off your friendship with her because of Peyton's behavior. You know Emma wouldn't force you to forgive Peyton, let alone put you in bad situations right now. Give her a chance to be there for you." Ethan said to Brooke.

"I just..." Brooke took a deep breath. "I wonder if Emma knew, if she'd tell me." Brooke explained.

"I can't answer that for you, Brooke. But from what I've known of Emma so far, and from what you know of Emma, you should know that she's a fair girl. I have my doubts as to whether she would allow someone to continue hurting you." Ethan said. "She even asked me if she could hit Luke for hurting you and causing all this mess." Ethan took a deep breath and continued. "She's always been a good friend, Brooke. Don't lose her, because I know she doesn't want to lose you."

Ethan was already leaving when Brooke called out to him. Ethan turned his face towards the girl.

"Don't hurt her, Ethan." Brooke said to the boy, trying to sound threatening.

"Not even in my worst nightmares, Brooke."