17. i'm wide awake, it's morning

Tree Hill

Tree Hill

(based on season 2)

So here's what you might have missed about Tree Hill: Jake was arrested for not giving Jenny to Nicki, Coach Whitey took Jenny to safety. Nathan went to visit Haley, and well.... things didn't work out too well. And Brooke is living with Karen.

Before

When Ethan woke up in Andy's house, everything that had happened seemed to hit him. It wasn't a nightmare, it was reality. Andy appeared in the boy's room calling him to have breakfast together, and brought up the subject of Dan possibly being the boy's father. Andy would take the boy to Dan's car dealership so that Ethan could talk to Dan.

Ethan knocked on Dan's office door and the man looked up from his chair. Ethan looked exhausted, the boy didn't even have the strength to shout at Dan. The blond boy leaned against the door and walked over to sit in the chair facing Dan.

"Twice in one week? Should I get used to it, Ethan?" Dan asked with a smile on his face.

Ethan sighed and shook his head.

"I hope not." Ethan whispered and then looked at Dan.

Ethan remained silent as he analyzed Dan's features, trying to find any resemblance to the man. Hoping that he wouldn't find any resemblance, that there would be a neon sign on Dan's forehead saying: 'I'm not your father.

"Did you know?" Ethan muttered, picking at a lint on the sleeve of his shirt without looking in the man's direction.

"You'll have to be more specific, kid." Dan said.

Ethan swallowed dryly and stared at Dan.

"That you can be my father." Ethan's voice sounded like a whisper.

Dan widened his eyes, leaning back in his chair. When Dan heard that Veronica was pregnant, he asked the woman if there was any chance of the child being his, but Veronica denied it. Dan looked at Ethan, and just as the boy had done, Dan looked at Ethan for similarities with himself.

"No." Dan said dryly.

"I-I don't want anything from you, Dan. I just need to know the truth, so..." Ethan trailed off.

"You want to do a DNA test?" Ethan nodded.

Ethan excused himself and called Andy over so that he could explain to Dan what he had explained to the boy. If Dan was being the slightest bit kind to Ethan, that went down the drain when Andy entered the room and explained. Dan and Andy were being assholes to one another, when Ethan's voice cut them off.