19. how can you be sure?

Tree Hill, 2003

Tree Hill, 2003

Nathan was in the changing room fiddling with the lock on his locker when Lucas came up to him.

"So this whole thing with Haley really was just your way of messing with me, uh? And what about Ethan?" Lucas asked the boy.

"What's your problem now?" Nathan asked without understanding.

"I saw you making out with Emma last night." Lucas explained.

Nathan wanted to laugh, considering how quickly the two teenagers had kissed.

"Look, maybe you're a little slow but we kissed because it was the auction rules." Nathan told Lucas.

"I know what I saw." Lucas said, making Nathan want to strangle the boy.

Nathan shrugged at the boy, scoffing, Lucas closed the boy's locker roughly.

"I'm about to beat your ass, man." Nathan said, going over to the boy.

"I promised Haley I'd give you a break. That's the only thing saving you, right now." Lucas said.

Nathan pushed Lucas away from him.

"Look, I kissed Emma like you kissed Haley, that's it." Nathan explained, trying to make Lucas look understand.

[....]

In the late afternoon, Nathan stopped by the Sawyer sisters' house. Nathan noticed that the girls had not yet learned to lock the door or even answer the doorbell. The boy walked towards Emma's room, noticing the door half open and heard two voices.

"I love it when you sing to me, Pompons." Ethan said to the girl.

Emma had just put down her acoustic guitar and gone to give the boy small kisses all over his face, when they both heard a knock at the door. They both looked in the direction and saw Nathan standing in the doorway, a little embarrassed by the situation he had caught. Emma was on Ethan's lap, and the boy had his hands around the girl's waist. Emma stood up quickly.

"Sorry." Nathan said, putting his hands in the front pockets of his pants.

"It's okay. Did something happen, Nate?" Emma asked.

Ethan stood up and looked at the two of them, seeing Nathan looking a little embaressed.

"I'm going to leave you two alone for a while, I'll be back soon." Ethan said and gave his girlfriend a quick kiss on the lips.