18. what could have been

Tree Hill

Tree Hill

(based on season 2)

Ethan and Luke were in Nathan's hospital room, each on one side of the black-haired boy's bed. The two teenagers hadn't spoken, Ethan barely looked in Luke's direction. Luke wasn't just worried about Nathan, who was in a coma, he was worried about his cousin. Luke had no idea what was going through Ethan's head, although he wanted to ask the boy, he knew Ethan wouldn't tell, not while their relationship was like this.

The two teenagers heard Nate's voice, like a whisper calling for Haley. Luke calmed Nate down, while Ethan ran to get one of the doctors. After the doctors checked on Nathan, Ethan and Luke continued with the boy.

"What was that anyway, huh? Some sort of messed up 'anything Lucas can do, I can do better?'" Lucas asked Nathan.

Ethan shook his head in denial and frowned at his cousin. Before Ethan could say anything, Nathan denied it and told him that he had thought he had died and gone to heaven, but heaven was a place where Dan had chosen Karen, Haley was tone-deaf and that he had beaten Luke in the one-on-one.

Luke told him that he had called Haley, and then drew Nathan's attention. Nathan had remained silent, looking at Ethan, who didn't seem to agree with Luke.

"Nate, I have to ask you something." Nathan looked in Luke's direction. "When you hit the wall, there were no brake marks on the track."

Ethan stood up, not believing Luke's audacity in asking Nathan this when he had just come out of a coma and undergone surgery. Ethan stood at a distance near the door.

"You're asking me if I did this on purpose?"

Deb entered Nathan's room, Ethan took the opportunity to leave and Luke followed. Ethan pulled his cousin by the arm away from Nathan's room.

"Ethan, what-?"

Ethan let go of Luke's arm and ran his hand through his hair, messing it up. The boy let out a loud sigh and stared at Luke.

"Luke, you were....." Ethan looked Luke in the eye. "You were rude and inconvenient as hell."

Lucas stared at Ethan and laughed humorlessly.

"You don't say a word to me, and the first thing you say is that?" Luke shook his head. "What were you trying to do there too, huh, Ethan?"

Ethan shook his head and pointed at Luke.

"It's none of your business. I'm just saying that you shouldn't have bothered Nathan with that kind of question now." Ethan explained.