5. all that you can't leave behind

Tree Hill, 2003

Tree Hill, 2003

"Who would have known that Dan Scott's basketball pedigree would be inherited by his three sons, Nathan Scott, Lucas and Ethan." Ethan finished reading the article that was in the newspaper to his father.

"What the hell?" Keith grabbed the newspaper, not believing what he just heard.

"That's fucking great, dad. Now people think I'm Dan's son?" Ethan was beyond angry with the article. "By the way, who the fuck did this shit article anyway? The journalist didn't even do proper research. We should sue them."

"Ethan, language. I'm sorry about this." Keith throw's the article in the garbage.

"Hm, dad." Keith was grabbing his stuff to go to the auto shop, he looked back at his son. "Did you go to the Snowball dance with my mother?"

Referring to the woman who had given birth to Ethan as his mother always left a sour taste in his mouth. The blonde boy couldn't even stop the frown in his face. Keith stopped everything he was doing.

"How did y-" Ethan cut him off.

"So, it was her?" Keith nodded and sighed. "You guys seemed to be having a discussion. Nathan is an asshole, and showed some video of Dan and Karen, before the video ends you and her were filmed." Ethan clarified to his father.

"Ethan, first of all I need you to remember that I love you, ok?" Ethan mumbled an ok. "She was already pregnant at the time. At first, she didn't know what to do, then she wanted to keep you."

Ethan noticed the direction of the conversation; he saw how hard was to his father explain this to his son.

"She decided she didn't want me, right?"

"Yes, but Ethan. I wanted you; I will be forever wanting you in my life, son." Keith pulled his son to a hug.

"That fight at the Snowball dance. She had already decided she didn't want me anymore, is that it?"

Ethan hated that feeling, of rejection. As a man, he can understand the decision to leave, to leave him with someone who would love him. But as a son, he could not understand or think about forgiveness, the feeling of rejection was bigger. The fear of being abandoned by those he loves is always present. It's as if in the back of his mind there's a voice that's always telling him that he's not worth the effort, that if his own mother didn't even love him, why would other people love him? If even his mother abandoned him, why would other people remain in his life?