13. hanging by a moment

Tree Hill, 2003

Tree Hill, 2003

Ethan was helping Deb with Karen's coffee when he saw his father bringing dirty dishes into the kitchen. Deb walked right in and thanked them both for their help.

"Deb, don't get me wrong. But I'm glad Karen's coming back." Keith told her.

"Me too." Ethan ended up talking a little too happily and Deb ended up smiling at him.

Deb could understand it, Karen was the only female and even maternal figure that Ethan had in his life. In fact, Deb was a little bit jealous of the relationship that Karen had built with both Ethan and Lucas. When Keith went to ask about Dan, that was Ethan's cue to leave.

[....]

Peyton had asked her sister, Brooke, and Lucas to help her change some things in her room. Emma had the feeling that Lucas and Peyton had been acting strangely ever since they had gone out to identify the body. Emma even asked if everything was okay with Peyton, and the girl just told her that she would explain soon.

Lucas left the room with Peyton's mattress, and Brooke was jumping for joy. Her relationship with Lucas seemed to be on the mend.

Brooke closed the door to Peyton's room and walked over to Emma and Peyton.

"Can I tell you two a secret?" Brooke asked.

The Sawyer sisters looked at each other, giggled, and nodded at Brooke. Peyton seemed to want to tell Brooke a secret as well but held back and let the girl tell her secret first.

"I'm falling in love with him," Brooke said.

Emma hugged Brooke.

"I thought it was obvious, B. Davis. But if you're happy, I'm happy." Emma said as she hugged Brooke.

"I know, it's crazy." Brooke said as she looked at Peyton who still hadn't said anything. "This is like, L-O-V-E crazy." Brooke continued as Peyton tried to speak but choked on what she wanted to say.

Brooke asked what song was playing.

"Tegan and Sara." Peyton replied, and Brooke asked the name of the song. "Don't confess." Peyton paused for a moment as if she'd had an epiphany. At the same time, Emma also had a moment of clarity.

Peyton was in love with Lucas.

"Oh, shit." Emma whispered, hoping neither of the other two girls had heard her.