22. the games that play us

Tree Hill, 2003

Tree Hill, 2003

Ethan, Lucas and Nathan were at the River Court playing basketball. Nathan seemed a little stressed, when Lucas asked him what was going on, Nathan said he was dealing with some problems in his relationship with Haley.

"What about you, Ethan?" Lucas asked the boy.

"What about me?" Ethan looked at his two cousins without understanding what they wanted to know about him.

"Well, you seem distant most of the time." Lucas said.

"Problems with Emma?" Nathan asked, causing Ethan to shook his head.

"Nah, we're doing great." Ethan said and then looked at Nathan. "Why? Did she say something?"

Lucas and Nathan laughed at the boy's desperation, thinking that something was wrong.

"No, man." Nathan replied.

Ethan went home, his thoughts in another dimension. As soon as he got home, he went straight to bed. Ethan only noticed that his father was home when Keith, who was sitting on his bed, was poking him.

"You've been distracted, son. Do you want to talk about it?" Keith asked.

Ethan sat on the bed, taking a deep breath.

"How do you know you love Karen?" Ethan asked.

Keith looked at his son, taking a deep breath.

"How do I know I love her?" Keith asked. "Well, I want a future with her. I want to see new places alongside her, I want to bring our families together and build our family in our own way." Keith said sighing. "But she doesn't want that with me. Why are you asking me this?"

"I think I love Emma." Ethan said.

"Oh, that's about it then." Keith looked at his son. "Explain."

"She... She makes me feel safe, sometimes it's like we're in a bubble where we're safe and happy and nothing can get to us." Ethan said. "I love how calm her voice makes me feel. I think it's amazing that she's extremely empathetic to everyone around her, always trying to make everyone feel good and be there for those she cares about. I love that she's so talented and humble, and always strives to be her best self." Ethan continued.

"But... I like seeing her smile, and being the reason for it. I feel like a child who's lost his parents at the mall when I'm not holding her hand or hugging her. And I like that she's always ready to defend everyone she loves." Ethan explained. "I could spend hours quoting everything I like about her, Dad."