11. the heart brings you back

Tree Hill

Tree Hill

(based on season 2)

Ethan was dripping wet from the rain, his clothes were heavy on his body and his tears had mixed with the raindrops. The blond boy opened the door and found his father on the sofa. When Keith looked at his son, before he could ask any questions the boy had already gone to the bathroom.

Ethan stood under the shower, feeling the water hit his body. He thought that perhaps the temperature was too hot, but he made no effort to change the temperature. All the teenager could think was: why did he feel this tightness in his chest? Emma didn't leave him, she was going after her dream, she was going to come back.

Ethan never understood why his thoughts always went to a dark place. As if a little black cloud whispered in his ear, and he fought against those thoughts, because a part of him knew they were lies. This little black cloud whispered things like: 'they don't care about you, do you want to see how right I am? Stop talking, no one will care.' or 'if your mother didn't even stay in your life, why would anyone?' And at that moment, the little black cloud whispered: 'why would Emma come back?'

Irritated by that voice in the back of his mind, he closed his eyes, letting the shower water run down his face. Emma had promised she would come back, Emma wouldn't break her promise, would she?

The boy decided to ignore that voice; he had been doing so for a long time. When he had finished his shower, Ethan found his father sitting at the foot of his bed waiting for him.

"Do you want to talk?" Keith asked his son in a calm, soft voice.

Ethan sat down next to his father, sighing, but Ethan didn't say a word. He just hugged his father, surprising him.

"She's gone." That's all Ethan managed to say before he started crying.

There were long minutes of Keith hugging his son and not knowing what to say until Ethan explained what had really happened.

"Why do I keep feeling this tightness in my chest?" Ethan mumbled, placing his hand over his heart.

Keith patted his son's shoulder.

"Because you miss her, son." Keith said. "Soon you'll be together. I'm sure of it."

Ethan hoped so.

That night, Emma slept on the bus next to Chris Keller, feeling her chest tighten as she missed Ethan, afraid that she was making the biggest mistake, and that her sister, Brooke and Nathan might need her and she wouldn't be there. Emma dreamt of Ethan, it wasn't a memory, it was a wish for the future.